What makes a Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

interested to hear you elaborate on this... what alternative to flutter kicks are you suggesting? (just trying to learn)

John

frog02.jpg

skill_frog_kick.jpg

interested to hear you elaborate on this... what alternative to flutter kicks are you suggesting? (just trying to learn)

John
TO backup what RJP has stated, I'll give my $0.02.

ANY diver who wants to improve his or her skill sets, and really learn skills that will increase your enjoyment in diving should watch these dvds.
Unified Team Diving (UTD) International (408) 674-9564

The "Intro to Tech" and "Essentials" I recommend 100%. While they're not meant as stand alone matieral, they cover some of the huge gaping holes in diver education that the recreational agencies do not even begin to cover in detail (my guess is lack of time).

Skills like back kicking that allow better interaction with marine life, team diving that increase comfort level, and kicks that won't disturb the visibility are all covered. It's not the same as having an instructor, but for the price, it's a bargain that you really should take advantage of!

One who looks out for and can spot and other divers comfort zones as to dive accordingly to the skill of all divers in the group. This entails letting go of the ego and not being selfish.

Personally, I've never heard anyone come out of an AOW class and tell another diver that they are now an advanced diver. How could one come out of that class and after 4 dives following their instructor around suddenly feel "advanced". Is this really a problem?

Well, since most AOL classes I know of are at least 5 dives, you couldn't say you were an advanced diver after 4 dives with an instructor :)

this seems to be a fairly common topic on SB...i have around 20 dives and am aow certified, but do not in any way consider myself an advanced diver. i think, as was said, classes help to give you knowledge and help to develop skills with an instructor around to give you guidance, but it is what you do after the class, and what you take away from it that makes it effective. attitude is another big issue, the words "im aow certified, so dont worry about me" will never, ever leave my lips. i dont care if i have a million dives, i fee that it is a phrase best thrown out, and the day someone says it should be the day they stop diving. there is always something to learn, something new to see, and something to improve on. i plan to dive until the day i die, and i do believe i will learn something new in each one of my dives. if not, where's the fun? its the realization that "advanced" means something different to everyone. to me, its a good sac rate, great buoyancy, good trim, and experience. am i there yet? god no. i hope to get there soon, but for now, i am a beginner. plain and simple. good post, thanks a lot :)

It's hard to know what you don't know, and I think if your early dives go well, it's VERY easy to relax and begin to think that you've got this diving thing nailed. It isn't until you have a couple of bad experiences that you realize the water is MUCH bigger than you are, and deserves unfailing respect.

This is a really good point. I have had a few friends go from OW to AOW with no dives without instruction and think that they are advanced divers, because they have had it fairly easy with the type of dives they have done. One guy I know did the deep dive as part of PADI AOW to 18m! Now he talks about how he can dive to 30m no hassle, without any consideration of gas planning or how narcosis will affect him, among other things. I've done 60 dives and am not even close to being an 'advanced' diver, maybe in another 200 or so :) Even when I feel like I am a good diver, I plan never to drop my guard and become complacent about safety and the like.

I have had a few early negative experiences with diving, and I really struggled to learn how to dive, and I think it has helped me be far more cautious about things as I know how quickly something can go wrong from a tiny mistake. I am glad that I had experiences like this in some respects as I came out of them fine, and having learned a lot from them.

I have had a few early negative experiences with diving, and I really struggled to learn how to dive, and I think it has helped me be far more cautious about things as I know how quickly something can go wrong from a tiny mistake. I am glad that I had experiences like this in some respects as I came out of them fine, and having learned a lot from them.

I cannot agree with you more. It was difficult for me to learn how to dive, too. I actually failed my first ocean dive for my OW, and had to do it again the next weekend. I did not get my AOW until about 60 dives, and now I am around 80 something dives. Unfortunately, I am only a vacation diver. I did get my OW and AOW in Monterey, but the rest was in tropical locations. When I go diving on these vacations, I always tell my divemaster that I have my AOW, but I am definitely NOT advanced. I feel like such a dork saying that, but I want them to know that I still need a lot more confidence. I would hate for anyone to think that I am advanced, and take me to dive sites that I am not ready for. I have not dove in 2 years, and am going to the Bahamas in November. After I dive there, I hope that will give me confidence to dive here in San Diego, my new home.

I am glad that learning to dive was a struggle for me, because it made me so careful and I pay attention to everything safety-wise when I am diving.

Oh, I have! Many, many times. I know people who take AOW for the cert. So they can say they are an "Advanced" diver.

There is a fine line between enough training to be safe and too much training to make it out of reach for the average joe. I understand why the training for the major agencies has been watered down and shortened. I don't agree with it, but I understand it. The biggest mistake was calling the next class after Open Water, "Advanced". Far better to have, Open Water 1, Open Water 2, Rescue, etc.

It's the term "advanced" that gets some worked up, and gets others over confident...IMHO.

Posted via Mobile Device So true... I think it should be "Open Water 2" instead of "Advanced ". Personally I agree that it is the certification along with the diverse conditions and consistant diving that make someone an advanced diver etc...

Personally I agree that it is the certification along with the diverse conditions and consistant diving that make someone an advanced diver etc...

I agree with you. Diverse conditions are the key. A diver may have 500 dives under the belt under the same conditions, say a maximum of 45 feet deep with great visibility and no current, etc, and still be an unexperienced diver.

Back
Top Bottom