What makes a master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adurso:
These terms are bandied about by the media and television programs; they are simplifications that have entered into the vulgate. Read the body of the codes...
Good thing you just snipped out the further explanation huh?

Tigerman:
Good thing you just snipped out the further explanation huh?
Er, no, Get a state or federal codebook, from the United States (because I cannot address other country's specific codes) and LEARN THE WORDS!

adurso:
I apologize for the length, and I have tried to simplify as much as possible given the

Appreciate the time taken to give me the explanation.
thanks
josh

I'm glad we all agree we would all help a diver in distress.
I find it hard to believe that the posters on this board couldn't tell a confused noob from a "properly equipped and trained solo diver" at a glance.
I wouldn't attempt to swim away from a lost lone diver. Big deal, one dive isn't as perfect as possible. Establish communications, and deal with it.
If a lost buddy team swam up to me looking for guidance, I agree with the poster who checked thier air and signaled "ascend". If they were agitated I would ascend with them. Once again, it's one dive.
Legalisms don't matter underwater.

caseybird:
I find it hard to believe that the posters on this board couldn't tell a confused noob from a "properly equipped and trained solo diver" at a glance.
This sort of judgmental BS really gets on my nerves ... :shakehead:

How would you tell? You weren't there. You haven't a friggen' clue what the lady looked like. You make it sound like you always know what everybody else in the water is doing, and why they're doing it. I'd be willing to bet you don't.

I've seen too many experienced divers ... some of them with DM and Instructor certs ... who dive like confused noobs.

I've seen several improperly equipped and untrained solo divers who are perfectly content with what they're doing ... and would neither appreciate nor accept "help".

Is it my place to tell them to get some training, or learn some skills?

I used to think so ... I've since learned something different.

Everybody engages in this activity for their own reasons, and in their own ways. When someone wants my help ... when they ask for it ... I'm happy to give it. When they don't ... it's neither my place, nor my desire to interfere where I'm not wanted.

I've had people tell me to "butt the hell out" for offering sincere assistance or advice.

We're all adults. If you can't conduct yourself like an adult ... which means making responsible decisions and taking responsibility for making poor ones ... then you shouldn't be diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
This sort of judgmental BS really gets on my nerves ... :shakehead:

How would you tell? You weren't there. You haven't a friggen' clue what the lady looked like. You make it sound like you always know what everybody else in the water is doing, and why they're doing it. I'd be willing to bet you don't.

I've seen too many experienced divers ... some of them with DM and Instructor certs ... who dive like confused noobs.

I've seen several improperly equipped and untrained solo divers who are perfectly content with what they're doing ... and would neither appreciate nor accept "help".

Is it my place to tell them to get some training, or learn some skills?

I used to think so ... I've since learned something different.

Everybody engages in this activity for their own reasons, and in their own ways. When someone wants my help ... when they ask for it ... I'm happy to give it. When they don't ... it's neither my place, nor my desire to interfere where I'm not wanted.

I've had people tell me to "butt the hell out" for offering sincere assistance or advice.

We're all adults. If you can't conduct yourself like an adult ... which means making responsible decisions and taking responsibility for making poor ones ... then you shouldn't be diving.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sorry to hit a nerve, Bob.
However, I didn't suggest you tell anyone to get training, interfere where you weren't wanted or tell anyone to get some skills. I described what I would do in those situations. I didn't tell anyone what they should or shouldn't do.
If another diver is close, how hard is it to flash an OK sign, get one back and go on your merry way? If someone tells you to butt out, so be it.
As far as being an adult, do you really think that trying to "lose" someone underwater or giving them the finger qualifies as an adult reaction? C'mon Bob, you're better than that.
I'll modify what I said: "I believe that most experienced divers who post on SB can tell most noobs from most "properly trained and equipped" solo divers after a quick visual inspection. In my admittedly limited experience, noobs don't look like experienced divers."
As to what the lady looked like, the OP sure made it clear she looked like a buddyless diver looking to join up with a buddy team. I wouldn't swim away from her. Any other diver may make his/her own decision.
Enjoy the rest of your holiday.

fisheyeview:
Wow, is it family night at my dad's house already?
And, just think! You had an important role in getting this thread to where it is now. I have to wonder, though - in order to have some underwater privacy for good photography, do you and your wife try to find a really silty spot, then start pointing at something on the bottom in a very animated fashion, beckoning other divers to come over and look? Then, when they all swim over, create the world's largest silt storm by thrashing around trying to figure out what the heck it was you were pointing at, do you and your wife swim blissfully away, and enjoy the rest of your dive, taking great pictures?:D (If so, my hat is off to you.)

Any class at any level of any discipline is only as good as what you put into it. Training is only a formal presentation of the fundamentals and share experiences of those that have gone before you of any discipline. Its more what an individual does with the the knowledge presented and how they apply it to there own actions that show the real value in spending any time / money on any instruction that brings the real value.

I decided long ago that I would not go for the Master certification. It means nothing to me at all. You will know a "master diver" when you see one in the water. I believe Rescue is as far as its worth going in PADI for example.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom