What makes a master diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My other hobby is bridge, and our "master" certification has the following categories:

Junior Master
Local Master
Provincial Master
Master
National Master
Life Master
and finally
Grand Master (that's me :dork2: )

Think how much more profitable PADI could be with all of those options :eyebrow:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Based on what I've seen, it certainly isn't the patch that makes a Master Diver!

Tigerman:
Whats wrong with that picture is basically that the rec dive ops dont have knowledge of what the non-rec certs covers, aint it?
I don't buy that one at all. Very few and I mean very few Rec divers could pass even the lowest levels of military dive training. The odds would be better for commercial training but not that much. IMHO it's the rec world wanting total control over any and all diving that even comes close to entering their world.

Gary D.

Try this for a comparison.

When we did our Navy Scuba Diver graduation day water final it went like this.

Nine guys swimming circles in a very large pool. Gear was shorts, shirt, combat boots, Duck Feet, twin 90’s, regulator and a mask. No BC, no SPG, nothing more than I already listed.

All of a sudden the water exploded and we got the living poo kicked out of us by a lot of people. On the bottom was a set of twin 90’s with a double hose box without hoses on it. Now we were all in various states of dress and undress. I had my shorts and one boot left. Everything else was gone except the surface and that set of twins on the bottom.

The surface meant you were out and on your way back to a non diving command. Go for the twins and you’d make graduation later that day to start a life of diving.

Try having multiple people buddy breathe off a regulator set up and see how difficult it is. Now try it without hoses and nine people. That is the result of four weeks of intense training just to become a military Scuba Diver. The result was all nine of us went to graduation after lunch.

Later when I went to second class school I had to repeat the four week Scuba program as it is incorporated into this one. Having already graduated the class I got it a bit worse than the others because they made an example out of me.

This time the graduation swim was sixteen weeks later. Almost identical to the first one except this time there were thirteen of us. Still one set of twin 90’s but sharing it between more people.

A wrench got thrown into the mix when a second set of twins hit the bottom. My first thought was great, this will make it easier but then an instructor pulled the first set out. The reason, we were wasting too much air so we got a penalty of more down time.

But with good training and good solid team work thirteen guys picked up their graduation certificates and orders to diving commands around the world.

Now you can imagine what the students go through to get to a point where they can pass a test like that. So saying a rec agency doesn’t know if the training meets their standards or doesn’t understand what other areas cover is just plain bovine piles.

Gary D.

drbill:
Based on what I've seen, it certainly isn't the patch that makes a Master Diver!

Which agency gives a patch? I gotta have one! :rofl2: Want to see my card collection?

What is required for Naui's Master Diver? Tried to google for the answer, but the descriptions I found all seemed fairly similar to SSI's, and definitely not to the level as described below ('a diver who has the same level of diving skill and knowledge that is expected of a NAUI Instructor without the teaching and course management stuff').

Thalassamania:
I think that for the recreational diving world NAUI got the Master Diver definition right, its a diver who has the same level of diving skill and knowledge that is expected of a NAUI Instructor without the teaching and course management stuff. A NAUI Master Diver should be able to dive and manage a dive as well as you'd like to see an Instructor do.

Dub5ire:
My point is that there are divers out there going for their master's that are probably going to get bent or lost.

So by that statement your telling me that the probablilty is they will get bent or lost.
Hmmmmmmm
Industry statistics say different.
That's a pretty gross generalization if you want my opinion.
I would like to put some cash on this bet... I bet none get bent or lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom