What makes Legend more expensive than Core? Which one to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaBreath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've read a lot about reg reviews. And I chose to go to world wide service brand like AL and SP. But still some doubts in mind.

At first I thought about Legends vs mk25+S600. But after few researched, I found that diaphragm maybe better to me than piston (since I can't diy service anyway). So I dig more details in Legends and think it's ok. However, only core already meets my needs. But again, I may not know much about reg so I think as long as they're balanced 1st&2nd would be great.

However, people around me seems to go for Legends, which they say it's prettier. That makes me wonder if I missed some points? what else make legends better than core that worth cost vary? (Like, if I have to pay a lot extra for just the outlook, then I prefer save up money for my trip). And again in this point, if I chose legends over core. There'll be more choice on legends and all I see is just a color different :/ is it better to be user adjustable? Or just preset with venturi is enough?

Some people said that Legends give a bit better breath. But for leisure diver, would it be much different? I know some people here can feel the differences and I wonder how they feel.

And seem like I can only get environmental dry seal in supreme version. But I only dive in warm water (not less than 10deg C). Should I upgrade to supreme or just give it up?

I would get sealed versions if diving in salt because it makes cleaning easier. You just have to rinse off the first stage vs. flushing the cap, it's worth the premium.

Legend gets you a newer/nicer first stage, adjustable venturi, and lower work of breathing at .65j/l vs .8j/l so it should be enough of a difference to notice as a diver.
Legend LX gets you a user adjustment on the second stage which I think is quite nice becuase you can detune the second stages if you do a lot of drift diving, or just want the better work of breathing.

I would get sealed versions if diving in salt because it makes cleaning easier. You just have to rinse off the first stage vs. flushing the cap, it's worth the premium.

Legend gets you a newer/nicer first stage, adjustable venturi, and lower work of breathing at .65j/l vs .8j/l so it should be enough of a difference to notice as a diver.
Legend LX gets you a user adjustment on the second stage which I think is quite nice becuase you can detune the second stages if you do a lot of drift diving, or just want the better work of breathing.

So if I get Core, I should get supreme one. But if I get legend, I can just buy the standard one since it's already sealed. And also better to have a user adjustable knob, right?
Does it mean, we can have it breaths at best for core but whatever we feel like (depend on how we tune) for legend ?

So if I get Core, I should get supreme one. But if I get legend, I can just buy the standard one since it's already sealed. And also better to have a user adjustable knob, right?
Does it mean, we can have it breaths at best for core but whatever we feel like (depend on how we tune) for legend ?

The Legend would be a better purchase if you're buying new due to the better regulator design leading to lower work of breathing.
The LX gives you the adjustment knob and it definitely can't hurt to have it.
If you don't have an adjustment knob, you typically won't tune it to breathe as well as it could because it is more prone to freeflowing

I should point out that Apeks is an Aqualung company and often times their regulators can be found cheaper than Aqualungs. All of their first stages are diaphragms and all but the Flight, UST and US-4 are sealed.

Also I am not sure what combos are offered in Thailand but you could also try a Scubapro G-260/S600/S560 with a MK-17 first. The MK-17 is a sealed diaphragm regulator.

Last edited:
I should point out that Apeks is an Aqualung company and often times their regulators can be found cheaper than Aqualungs. All of their first stages are diaphragms and all but the Flight and US-4 are sealed.

Also I am not sure what combos are offered in Thailand but you could also try a Scubapro G-260/S600/S560 with a MK-19 first. The MK-19 is a sealed diaphragm regulator.

I'll add the UST to the unsealed group.

I used a titan, which is very close to the new Core from aqualung.

If you are diving only to depths of 40 meters and never in cold water, there is NO reason to buy a legend.

Yes take the sealed version to make rinsing a safer procedure.

Legend is for deeper diver or people that want to show that they can afford something more luxurious.

I don't know about luxurious, but I love my Legend LX Supreme. Breaths nice and easy. I've only had it as deep as 85ft at this point, but I just "opened" the reg up a bit more with the adjustment knob. I am also diving colder water, which doesn't apply to the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom