What Model is this Scubapro Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
I got this picture off of ebay, but I have the exact same regulator (but mine looks new). It was given to me by my brother, just recently, he stopped diving 20 years ago. I'm thinking about having it reconditioned for use on a pony bottle. My LDS would charge me about 50.00 for the job, or I might buy the Harlow book and see what I can do (still need to find parts though). But anyway I was wondering if anyone knew the particulars (good, bad, junk it, etc.) about this model regulator. It only has two LP ports and one HP port.

Thanks for any information.

Tom

Fishy8411:
I got this picture off of ebay, but I have the exact same regulator (but mine looks new). It was given to me by my brother, just recently, he stopped diving 20 years ago. I'm thinking about having it reconditioned for use on a pony bottle. My LDS would charge me about 50.00 for the job, or I might buy the Harlow book and see what I can do (still need to find parts though). But anyway I was wondering if anyone knew the particulars (good, bad, junk it, etc.) about this model regulator. It only has two LP ports and one HP port.

Thanks for any information.

Tom

I am sure you can get it serviced by I would not reccomend putting it on a 3200 psi tank as that yoke ass'y was designed for the old days when steel 72's were the norm and they only had 2400 psi max in them.

It is a nice collectable...

Dive Source:
I am sure you can get it serviced by I would not reccomend putting it on a 3200 psi tank as that yoke ass'y was designed for the old days when steel 72's were the norm and they only had 2400 psi max in them.

It is a nice collectable...

but a 72 (2250) with +10% is 2475 psi max. Just for the record. FWIW, I have a pair of 72's doubled up and just found another 72 and SP Mark V (1976) vintage along with AT PAC and other goodies.... I'm looking forward to diving these colectables. BTW, Tom, I have in hand the original SP "Technical manual" copywright 1974....LOL

dive safe and often
tony

scubatexastony:
but a 72 (2250) with +10% is 2475 psi max. Just for the record. FWIW, I have a pair of 72's doubled up and just found another 72 and SP Mark V (1976) vintage along with AT PAC and other goodies.... I'm looking forward to diving these colectables. BTW, Tom, I have in hand the original SP "Technical manual" copywright 1974....LOL

dive safe and often
tony

Okay, if you got a manual what model is it? The only numbers I can find are on the back of the second stage and that looks like a serial number. Besides the regulator, my brother also gave me two 1960 U.S. Diver 72's and an old horse collar BC (which I bought for him, 20 years ago at Christmas).

Tom

Both are SCUBAPRO and the following is what I've found from my SCUBAPRO reference material:

1st Stage is a Mark II, Unbalanced Piston, 2250 working psi

2nd Stage is a called a STANDARD 108, and has a conventional Downstream Valve

Great reg, very comparable to a current Mk2/190 and well worth rebuilding.

If the yoke bothers you you can upgrade it easily to a heavier one. Lots of used yokes floating around now that everyone is going DIN, and just about all the SPs use the same one - my old Mk2 has a satin chrome heavy yoke on it now that came off a Mk15 and still has the label to prove it.

As indicated above the first stage is the original Mk II and the second stage is what was referred to by Scubapro as the High Performance second stage.

The thin yokes came in a 2250 flavor and a slightly heavier 3000 psi flavor but both should be replaced with a new yoke even for use with 2250 psi steel 72's. These old yokes occassionally come apart even at the lower servcie pressure and if you accidently put a 2250 psi yoke on a 3000 psi tank, the odds are very good that it will fail.

The Mk II is comparable to the MK 3 and newer Mk 2 but will not offer the same cold water protection as a SPEC equipped late production Mk 3 or a TIS equipped Mk 2 / MK2 Plus.

The High Performance second stage uses the same basic poppet design as the R190 and R380 and shares the same annual service kit. Performance is nearly identical except there is no adjustable flow vane on the High Perfromance.

New parts are available including exhaust tees and the rubber portion of the purge cover. Your particular High Performance appears to be mid to late 60's vintage.

DA Aquamaster has it as a MKII, and the only difference I see in the II & III is the cap is rounded more on the III. The Parts list in this old manual are identical in description save the cap and the spring.

Here's a pic of the MK V and seconds I picked up a couple weeks ago for a song and dance.

tony

The MK II had a slightly larger piston than the Mk III which theoretically allows for less drop in IP as tank pressure falls.

The early Mk III's had rounded caps but the later MK III's (after the early Mk II's went out of production) had square profiled caps. These later Mk III caps also had smaller holes in them to better retain environmental silicone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom