What Pelican Case?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v--Locke--v

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'm looking for a pelican case to protect my goodies... but I have become inindated with choices. I was wondering what size cases people use and have had luck with?

I was thinking the 1610 or 1620 case, but the 1590 can be taken as onboard luggage.

thanks!
jeff

No better deal available than this: Case Deal If you're sold on a hard case for stuff, DG is offering an exceptional price for these cases.

He's selling the Pelican 1650 and its Storm equivalent. I'm not a big fan of these types of cases for dive gear - I use them for other stuff, but at these prices I've very tempted.

---
Ken

i ordered a 1560 orange case without foam from B&H Video for $134 shipped new. Ill let you guys know how well it fits stuff. Im only trying for BP Wing SIngle, Regulator set, my 7mm pinnacle polar suit, fins, and a save my dive kit... So really enough for basic diving for one person.

Ill review when I get it early next week...

thanks

i ordered a 1560 orange case without foam from B&H Video for $134 shipped new. Ill let you guys know how well it fits stuff. Im only trying for BP Wing SIngle, Regulator set, my 7mm pinnacle polar suit, fins, and a save my dive kit... So really enough for basic diving for one person.

Locke - let uskno what all that weighs in at in the case please. I have been running into weight issues with the 50lb max.

Thanks

kk, I got my 1560 and its nice. At first I thought I goofed and that the case was too small. And in some ways it is too small, just kinda determines how much stuff you want to get into it. Ill take some pics of my crap in there, but will say I can easily fit:

- medium dss backplate with hog harness
- 26 pound torus wing
- full reg, octo, and gauge set
- mask with case
- light, snorkel, knife, inline signal horn, weight belt

Now, there appears to be somewhere between 50 to 35% space left. I could get a 3mm full suit, gloves, and boots. Or perhaps a shell drysuit. Ill get some pics loaded in a few days so you can see. The case seems to weight about 8 to 12 pounds.

So I'm looking for a pelican case to...be taken as onboard luggage.

How do you decide to endure the weight of a bulletproof case by carrying it onboard into the cabin?

Besides having a terribly inefficient internal capacity to external size ratio (a standard feature of any such case), it weighs a ton, is not needed at all to protect your cameras from anything they will encounter, and it's kind of unlikely that the cabin will flood.

Consider a padded soft sided bag.

How do you decide to endure the weight of a bulletproof case by carrying it onboard into the cabin?

Besides having a terribly inefficient internal capacity to external size ratio (a standard feature of any such case), it weighs a ton, is not needed at all to protect your cameras from anything they will encounter, and it's kind of unlikely that the cabin will flood.

Consider a padded soft sided bag.

Not sure how to answer... I wanted something that would keep my crap well protected throughout travel. Anyway the largest pelican case that can be taken on board is the 1510 model. I got the 1560 buts its pretty light, im not even sure i can get 40 pounds of crap into it, so travel should be easy. Not sure why everyone is assuming this things weighs 20 pounds.

Not sure how to answer... I wanted something that would keep my crap well protected throughout travel. Anyway the largest pelican case that can be taken on board is the 1510 model. I got the 1560 buts its pretty light, im not even sure i can get 40 pounds of crap into it, so travel should be easy. Not sure why everyone is assuming this things weighs 20 pounds.

Well, we would be assuming that this case weight 20 pounds because Pelican says it weighs..........well, 21 pounds.

Phil Ellis
DiveSports.com

lol yeah i have to eat my words lol... actually without foam the case weighs only 17 pounds so THERE!! Seems wierd cause a 20 pound dumbell seems heavier ( i pretend to workout), must be a perception thing, it really seemd to weigh about 12 pounds....

anywho, i am happy with the case, its "seems" light, and i can get my dss medium backplate and wing in there along with almost all my other gear with no problems. I may decide to place the "non-puncturable" items in a soft bag, if the 50 pounds becomes an issue. Once again I hope to ahve some pics posted in a few days to give you guys an idea. Of course if your notintersted in such a heavy hard case, I would suggest ignoring this thread. lol

Anyway Phil hows my reg set i sent in for service coming, you never did call me back two days ago... lol

Why not this? Contico Storage Locker - Wal-Mart

It's inexpensive, designed to airline checked baggage requirements and nearly indestructable; not to mention much lighter than the cases you are looking at meaning you can get more gear into it and still be within weight restrictions.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom