What primary reel do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought mine four years ago, and at that time, the Salvo handles were Delrin and the screws were nylon.

My Salvo is a solid 1-piece delrin handle with a nylon screw as well, and no problems at all with it :)

This is good to know. I thought the Salvo, LM's and Halcyons were all pretty similiar, but I didn't realize that some had metal screws and some did not. I would think that there would be less problems with a metal screw.

That being said, the nylon screw on my Larry Green has swelled up on occassion, but I still like it better - its reeling action is much smoother than any other reel I've used.

What is the issue with "swelling"? Several divers here have made references to this.

What is the issue with "swelling"? Several divers here have made references to this.

Nylon absorbs moisture. Over time this can cause the locking screw to swell making it difficult to turn.

Nylon screws don't rust.

Are there any advantages to a nylon screw? or rather, any disadvantages to a metal screw?

Nylon screws don't rust.

Neither do stainless steel ones. But you can get some corrosion between dissimilar metals if you have a SS screw in an Aluminum frame.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom