What primary reel do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Ralph Hood reels primarily, with the nylon screws replaced with Lowes SS screws. I also have a Halcyon, which is a close 2nd (LM is similar enough). I don't require my cavern students to buy a primary reel until after class so they can use the reels I have and decide without spending the money on them...like I did. My Dive Rite reel is only a land drill reel now.

I use Ralph Hood reels primarily, with the nylon screws replaced with Lowes SS screws.

Would you have description of these SS screws, so that a woman could obtain them from Lowes in one visit without having to slay no more than four either teenage or toothless Lowes employees?

my screw hasn't rusted. is anyone having that problem?

Not rust. But I have had it corrode some and stick from dissimilar metal issue.

Underwater Connection (/Ralph Hood/Larry Green)

I have a little rusty discoloration on the screw on my reel, but it hasn't affected its function.

We use a DR side winder. During cavern/intro class, we managed to birds nest, tangle, and jam the thing. The first time it happened was in the JB basin where we were doing some basic line and no mask drills. So our instructor had us take it apart under water and fix it. That was an interesting drill. Since then we have not had many issues with it.

I also have a Halycon which I used occasionally in caves with no issues. Now, it is my deco reel.

If I had to buy another, it would probably be a LM.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom