What qualifies as a primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would suggest borrowing a canister light. That should be allowable. . . .

That's what I did for a Cavern course. I simply told my instructor I needed to borrow or rent a primary light, and he said no problem and lent me one. Since a cavern is, by definition, in the daylight zone, having one for a Cavern course is more about getting accustomed to holding (Goodman handle) and using a light for signaling while juggling it with the reel, etc., than needing something very bright and/or with a long burn time. After that, I bought a used Light Monkey 21W HID--those old workhorses come up for sale now and then on ebay, SB, CDF, etc.

I'd recommend either picking up a used canister light or renting one for the class. Like AJ said, there are often deals to be had for under $500 on older technology that's still in good working shape.

Anybody own or use the Brinyte XML2 light? It looks like a decent light and won't hurt the wallet either.

Ask your instructor what the requirements are. Non-canister might be OK but you WILL need a handle of some sort. Would probably be easier to find one with OEM support for a handle (i.e. mounting holes) instead of messing around to fit an aftermarket one on.

my definition of primary light is the light that I intend to use for the duration of the dive. That's it. It can be anything from a $2k canister, down to a $50 "backup light". The good backup lights actually throw more light than the 10w HID's that were the norm up until not too long ago, and they are good for an hour. You aren't going to get there on sixths, so I personally see no issue in using 3 of them. Some instructors will want you to get practice with a corded canister light, but many won't. As long as you have a way of putting it on your hand without actually having to hold it *goodman*, then it is fine. I prefer them to not be twist on/off and have multiple brightness settings, but it's not critical.

1-R105T Handheld Light – ANO Online Shop
DGX 600 Handheld Light | Dive Gear Express®
http://www.caveadventurers.com/store/explorer-back-up-lights.html

any of the lights above will work perfectly fine. Big Blue used to be on my list, but they're idiotically expensive these days... Not sure why.
DGX Soft Handmount | Dive Gear Express®
these work well enough as a soft goodman but you do need to verify with your instructor that that will be acceptable. If not, ask if he has a spare canister that you can borrow.

Does it still matter that a primary is a canister light? I mean, I know why they were created, but with modern tech, is there anything magical about the can light design that is still really needed?

I understand (and use) some tech ideas as an AOW, but this is about the last rule that I haven't figured out.

@joe10540 you can rent one for the class. All the shops there in the area will have can lights you can rent. You will want a can or at the least a hand mounted light for the class, this would be your "primary" and then you will want two backups. Go ahead and get the DGX600 or XTAR D26 on your Christmas list. I do not plan to spend "good" money on a dive light until I either find a killer deal on one or I progress past Intro.

Does it still matter that a primary is a canister light? I mean, I know why they were created, but with modern tech, is there anything magical about the can light design that is still really needed?

I understand (and use) some tech ideas as an AOW, but this is about the last rule that I haven't figured out.

some agencies and instructors think so, others don't... Not sure I have heard a good rational reason for or against, but it is what it is. Depends on how much they have kept up with the times

Don't forget that if you are diving backmount, you will need something to tuck your long hose under.
Emt shears on right belt side, you dont need a canister for it.

Hold off buying as long as you can until you know what you want. They are expensive bits of kit. Everyone has a different story and it can be very confusing. Speak to instructors and people doing the kind of diving you want to do. My first light was a DR led lux can light. Still got it. Perfectly good cave light. It has been superseded by two primary handheld German Tillytec light which are superb cave lights. Light technology is changing all the time in terms of brighter LEDs which use less energy and in terms of battery technology. Please try and avoid paying a shedload of money for a light which is already out of date however slick the marketing and however many fanboys you read here.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom