What qualifies as a primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joe10540

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
So I've decided to take cavern/intro and there are gear requirements that include a primary and a couple of backup lights. What makes a primary light? I have a few cheap Chinese dive lights that if you believe the packaging put out 6k lumens and 10k lumens for around 120mins and longer on lower settings. Since I can't see myself staying 2 hours on sixths do these qualify? I feel like if I need more burn time I can either double up on the lights or upgrade and use these as nice backups. Any input is appreciated however I'm not entirely sold on a canister light just yet I can see the advantages but I just don't need that much fire power yet, or do I?

It's only a cavern course. At this point he doesn't need to spend as much on a new light as the entire course will cost.

Ask your instructor what his requirements are. Usually they want at least a hard Goodman handle. Doesn't necessarily have to be a can light.

BTW, brightness is not really a criteria that determines primary vs backup.

But what is the difference? I asked this same question recently to my original cave instructor, and he said he was beginning to ask that same question himself.

Traditional thinking, established long ago, was that you took a primary light and 2 backups. If your primary light failed, the dive was over. I gave that some thought on a cave dive a year or so ago as I prepared for the dive and looked at my light bag. I saw that I had the ability to do the dive with 4 lights, and every one was at least as good or better than the primary lights that existed when the rules were made. If my primary were to fail, I would still have the equivalent of a primary light and 2 more equivalents as backups.

I would put not turning a dive when your primary light bites the dust in the same category as recalculating 1/3 rds. Sure it can be done but you are decreasing your margin for error.

A cheap light will be fine for cavern as long as you have some way to hold it hands free such as a soft or hard Goodman handle or glove. The small 1k lumen backup lights put out about the same light as a 10w hid. Just get some extra batteries and change out between the dives.

i would probably turn a dive when I'm on my last light. You should be able to see your way out of a cavern, right?

Last edited:
Don't forget that if you are diving backmount, you will need something to tuck your long hose under.

Anybody own or use the Brinyte XML2 light? It looks like a decent light and won't hurt the wallet either.

I would suggest borrowing a canister light. That should be allowable. I'm signed up for fundies and will be go for a tech pass per the instructor's suggestion after diving with him once. I was going to get one on loan, but then a friend of mine was selling his LM for a screaming price, and I couldn't pass it up. When I take cave courses, I will have that canister light as my primary, but then a backup primary in my Halcyon Focus Handheld, and then two more backup lights on my strap, as I can put that backup primary in a pocket. If I'm getting trained by someone like Steve Martin, you better believe I'm going to have backups so that training can continue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom