What qualifies as a primary light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or keep it strapped to your right tank, if in sidemount. The list goes on and on, a canister is not required to manage a 7' hose.

Not great

why not? I've been doing it for 7 years with no issues when diving without a can... It stays where it is supposed to better than the canister, and deploys more easily than the canister. What is your objection to it?

why not? I've been doing it for 7 years with no issues when diving without a can... It stays where it is supposed to better than the canister, and deploys more easily than the canister. What is your objection to it?
it comes out all the time. maybe it works for you, but not for me and many others

Thank you everyone for the input! Can I ask another dumb question? It seems that all the lights that have come up are around 1k lumens, is this because you don't need more than that or because having more than that seriously reduces battery life? I found some lights that claim 3k lumens and others that claim as much as 20k lumens why not go for more available light output and dial it back to low power setting to get the burn time?

For backups you don't need anything more than the run of the mill 1000 or 600 lumen lights. This is mainly due to getting a good light in a good compact size and at a reasonable cost. Most of your primary lights are the ones you want to get the most lumen/runtime from. 20K lumen on any light is a joke, if that was even the case and you DID get a genuine 20K lumens from a light it would last about 10min and the battery would be about the size of my Prius.

it comes out all the time. maybe it works for you, but not for me and many others

Same here, it'll work for a few minutes then I'm constantly retucking it every few minutes.

For backups you don't need anything more than the run of the mill 1000 or 600 lumen lights. This is mainly due to getting a good light in a good compact size and at a reasonable cost. Most of your primary lights are the ones you want to get the most lumen/runtime from. 20K lumen on any light is a joke, if that was even the case and you DID get a genuine 20K lumens from a light it would last about 10min and the battery would be about the size of my Prius.
Obviously 20k is an over statement and not realistic but if a light says it can put out 20k maybe it's actually putting out 10-15k and that's still a lot more than 500-1000. I don't have any experience to go off of in a true zero light environment so maybe 1000 is plenty I don't know.

Same here, it'll work for a few minutes then I'm constantly retucking it every few minutes.
How do you restrain the long hose then? Do you loop it around the canister? If it is physically looped how do you deploy it? Doesn't that pose a snag hazard and could possibly prevent a full deployment? I've seen it tucked and it stayed in place for the entire dive but that wasn't in a cave environment and that allowed it to be deployed smoothly with just a tug after the loop was from behind the head.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom