What regs do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, I am a regulator addict, I own some 45 - 48 regulators of which more than 40 are in working condition, and of those, I would say that 25 - 30 are used in any given year of diving.

My go-to regulator for its incredible reliability and never needing to be babied is my USD Conshelf SE from 1985. Other Connies are also 100% workhorses.

I just dove yesterday using a ScubaPro MkVII/Pilot/R109 rig. You don't see too many SP Pilots in working order these days, which is a crying shame as they are still one of the easiest breathing regulators ever made.

Voit/Mares MR-12, IMO the best looking SH of all time, a very reliable system.

I really, really like diving USD/Voit single-stage DH regulators: Over-pressure Breathing, Stream Air, Jet Air and Mistrals; 50 Fathoms and Polaris. The BEST sounding regulators on inhalation ever made.
Also DH two-stage regulators such as the Argonaut Kraken and USD AquaMaster [including with Phoenix valve] are favorites.

I teach with a Mares MR-12/Proton, its small size and simple features are good for demonstrating skills to students.

Exotics I would like to be able to use more often [need repair / parts]: GSD 300 and Spinnaker, Rose Pro, Poseidon Odin and Nemrod Snark III Silver DH.

I think I might be a reg addict too.......I've got 40-ish sets of SP MK5/109/156's alone! (including 8 mint New-In-Box MK5/156 B/As) New MK25/S620Ti. Yes, a pair of mint Nemrod Snark III Silver's as well. Not to mention 12+ sets of Atomics (inc (5) T2's/ (3) T3's), 3 Apeks XTX200's, 4-6 Poseidon Jetstreams, 12+ Aqualung Titan LX's, assorted Mares and Oceanics, and a handful of doublehoses. :)

Last edited:
Scubapro Mk 10 G250. Love them and have for 20+years.

@JamesBon92007, Fair warning, sir. You have dibs by gentleman's agreement but these 250's are on the block...

A lot has happened while I was away...

I have the manual for the R109 but I don't have this manual yet. They are very similar, right? Do they come with a first stage or are these only the second stages?

Damn! After reading this post, I no longer feel like a rookie. Now, I feel downright incompetent. I have the same reg I bought six years ago when I was certified. Aqualung Micron.
I bought a Mikron as part of an Aqualung package after I completed my OWC last year. I have no complaints, though I've got nothing on which to base a comparison.

Started diving in 2009 and my first and only set of regs until recently was a Zeagle Flathead LT + Z second stage + ZX octo. Chose this reg because of combination of great local dealer support, performance, and pricing.

My current main reg is a Hollis DC7 + 500SE which I purchased used off eBay for a great price. I then purchased a used Zeagle Z to act as octo. I'm enjoying using this setup at the moment. I have modified my 500SE with bits of stuck on plastic and duct tape to further deflect bubbles away from my face.

If I was to pick up another set of regs in future it would be something in the HOG or Edge range, as I'd be to service it on my own and service kits are available locally.

Last edited:
@scubafanatic,

Sounds like you have a bad case of regulator addiction my friend. There is no known cure, short of bankruptcy [and that is only a temporary setback, IMO]. Love those MkV/R109 sets too.

As with many things scuba related I think you will find that SB feedback will be skewed.

I believe that the majority of dives are likely performed using rental regs by vacation divers.

I use Sherwood SRB3400s circa 1987. They are easy to service and get parts for.

Do you happen to know where I can get a piston back-up ring for a 3105? If I remember correctly the little piston O-ring is an unusual size too. I have not been able to find a kit for this reg so it has become my nail-gun regulator.

I have been using two sets of SP Mk17/S555/R395 for the past eight years, and love them. They are overkill for the type of diving I do, but have never regretted the buying decision. Who knows, I might go insane and get back to diving in cold water again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom