What SCUBA accessories/gadgets for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least get a decent SMB and spool if you’re going to be ocean diving.
Don’t get a metal spool that is very negative.

If you drop it, it will sink too quickly for you to catch. Some people like metal spools because they’re shiny and look nice. People get Apeks spools for smb even though they’re overkill and are designed as a lifeline into an overhead environment.

I would wait for you to do your OW and ask the instructor for a choice of DSMB and spool or reel.

People diving in cold water, especially if you dive from a boat in a country where waves and tide is higher, go for larger DSMB with a large reel which you can hold with dry suit gloves.

In warmer water, I hear people use more often spools.

Your instructor may have a good idea of what you should get if you explain what kind of diving you want to do.

I would wait for you to do your OW and ask the instructor for a choice of DSMB and spool or reel.

People diving in cold water, especially if you dive from a boat in a country where waves and tide is higher, go for larger DSMB with a large reel which you can hold with dry suit gloves.

In warmer water, I hear people use more often spools.

Your instructor may have a good idea of what you should get if you explain what kind of diving you want to do.
Spools are preferred for SMBs. But yeah I know what you mean, loads of people in cold places use reels because it has a solid grip.

The only things I would try to make sure I had for OW check out dives would be mask, snorkel, fins, boots and wetsuit.

Reasons for the above:
1) Mask is VERY personal and hoping to get a mask that fits when you get there is asking for issues.
2) Snorkel getting one that you know works with the mask is worth the time. One of the main causes of mask issues imho is down to the different face shape when holding a reg/snorkel in the mouth. What fits as mask only can be a lot different when tried with a snorkel.
3) Fins - nice to know how the fins work (do they suit a strong kick or are they flexible and rely on smooth kicks) and get a chance to practise with them.
4) Boots - very personal due to foot shape. Worth also considering taking a pair of socks to use with your boots. I was fine with my boots on short weekends but any more than 3 or 4 dives and I started getting issues on my heels with abrasion. Added socks (normal cotton ones) and all was well for 20+dives.
5) Wetsuit - again very personal due to sizing. Although a lot of suits should suit a 6'3 person, I need one with a long body and shortish legs which might not be available.

Nice items to have in addition:
Dive computer - having your own computer is a good thing as you will (hopefully) read the manual and understand the display. This makes a big difference to comfort imho instead of using a rental that you get a 5 min run through on and hope you know what you are reading. Knowing where your depth, NDL, ascent rate without having to double or triple check is a good thing.
SMB (or DSMB) - you will need to demonstrate use of an SMB as part of your course (on the surface at least). Therefore having one you have handled is no bad thing. A DSMB does the same job (on the surface) but it has additional features that allow it to be used from depth. Personally I would buy the DSMB and a reel. A good instructor will help you learn how to shoot it from depth.

With the dive computers, is that overkill to have for checkout dives? Or is that something that you will typically rent when doing the checkout dives? Are they even necessary?

Also about wetsuits...

I've only ever snorkeled and done SCUBA in warm waters in the Caribbean and in the Keys and that is going to most likely keep being my plan. In the warm waters of Grand Cayman will a wetsuit make much of a difference? Like I have snorkeled for over an hour straight before without a wetsuit in the tropics and was fine. However what I'm not sure about is at depth, the temperature changing and it being colder down there. So is that something that I need to consider as well?

I have an odd build that is an athletic/body builder type build, where my chest/shoulders/arms is that of someone who wears XL in most tshirts, but my torso/waste is that of someone who would wear more of a medium sized shirt. And my thighs aren't huge but I buy jeans with a larger waste size so that my thighs can fit more comfortably. My waste is closer to 34 but I get 36 for the extra space. I'm assuming that due to my build I'd most likely want my own wetsuit as oppose to renting one where the place may not have one that fits me well.

With the dive computers, is that overkill to have for checkout dives? Or is that something that you will typically rent when doing the checkout dives? Are they even necessary?

Also about wetsuits...

I've only ever snorkeled and done SCUBA in warm waters in the Caribbean and in the Keys and that is going to most likely keep being my plan. In the warm waters of Grand Cayman will a wetsuit make much of a difference? Like I have snorkeled for over an hour straight before without a wetsuit in the tropics and was fine. However what I'm not sure about is at depth, the temperature changing and it being colder down there. So is that something that I need to consider as well?

I have an odd build that is an athletic/body builder type build, where my chest/shoulders/arms is that of someone who wears XL in most tshirts, but my torso/waste is that of someone who would wear more of a medium sized shirt. And my thighs aren't huge but I buy jeans with a larger waste size so that my thighs can fit more comfortably. My waste is closer to 34 but I get 36 for the extra space. I'm assuming that due to my build I'd most likely want my own wetsuit as oppose to renting one where the place may not have one that fits me well.
Wetsuits, you need to try them. I use personally Fourth Element and they fit me nicer than many other brands.

Dive computer, you do not need your own but bear in mind that you need to keep the same computer for consecutive dives as it remembers your dive profile when you are not diving. You CANNOT change diving computers between consecutive dives.

There are “need to have” items and there are “nice to have” items. At this point, for instruction, it sounds like you have all the “needs” covered. If teaching to standards and not shortcutting requirements, the rental kit should include necessary safety items such as SMB and not expect the diver to provide them on their own. But you are looking for birthday gift ideas, so now we have all the other suggestions and future needs and wants.

Computer is not a necessity, but it sounds like there is another variable you are not aware of. The current “default” in the PADI Open Water course is to assume you will learn with and continue to dive with a computer. Using tables is an optional skill that you are not required to learn. You should understand what path(s) your classes are taking, and if they are deciding for you, or if you can exercise your options.

Yes, computers are a common rental item, and I believe buying one before finishing the course is fairly uncommon. But if you are able to settle on the right item for you, it does make a nice birthday gift.

I doubt you will get, or have, a computer for your checkout dives unless it is on a console and just happens to be part of the rental set up. You don't really need one but if you have one it will be a good chance to see how it looks, and works, under water. If you decide to get one (I recommend you do, it does not have to be expensive or fancy, can even do used) I would take it and use it on your checkout just to practice and get comfortable with it.
Sounds like investing in a wetsuit might be a good idea as well in order to get one that you are comfortable in. Diving will not be fun if you are uncomfortable. If you only do one dive a day in the Caribbean you will probably be OK without one. But if doing multiple dives each day (pretty common) you will probably get cold after the second or third dive. It takes a while to rebuild that core temp when it drops, and multiple dives do not give you enough time to get warm so temp loss becomes cumulative. Summers - a shorty will probably be fine. Winters - might need a full, 3mil. Everyone is different so this is just one new persons opinion based on what I have experienced.
Water temp does not really drop that much with depth in the Caribbean (unless you go deeper than recreational diving).

PS - I am a new guy and don't know squat. Just offering things I've experienced in my short time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom