What size kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, but the longer the boat, the faster. While you may not care about speed per se, it translates into less effort to get out to the reef. Believe me, paddling yourself and all of your dive stuff through waves to a spot a mile or more away is quite a bit of work!

I agree on all points, of course. It also depends on storage, transportation, loading/unloading, primary usage, etc. I got my Scrambler XT a few months ago and have gone out to the boneyard (1 mile) almost every weekend since then and have no complaints. I'm sure I could get there a little faster or easier in a 13' or 14', but I wouldn't have any place to store it as I can barely squeeze my 12' into the porch of my condo.

I have no idea what the ideal kayak for GCD is, I just know that the absolute statement that anything under 13 won't be stable or fast enough is (in my opinion) simply untrue. Sometimes there is more than one factor to consider and it annoys me when personal preferences get mistaken as facts. :wink:

P.S.
I'll be at Alhambra at 7:00am tomorrow paddling to the Boneyard if anyone happens to want to go along for a tooth dive.

I have no idea what the ideal kayak for GCD is, I just know that the absolute statement that anything under 13 won't be stable or fast enough is (in my opinion) simply untrue. Sometimes there is more than one factor to consider and it annoys me when personal preferences get mistaken as facts. :wink:

::AHEM:: You said "in my opinion" and "personal preferences mistaken as facts" in the same paragraph. :rofl3:

Of course there is more than one factor to consider...if not, there would be only ONE dive kayak that EVERYONE would use! :blinking: I think everyone has had a very civil conversation thus far and I'm very surprised that you are annoyed.

Enjoy your dive! :D

I dive with a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. I also have a Scrambler XT, but I think the Tarpon is faster, or more efficient, so I prefer that. Also, it will carry more gear. I dive a lot with it off West Palm and Ft Lauderdale. Works great. I don't use the rudder option, but one of my friends swears by his rudder. I think it is just another thing to tangle lines in. My suggestion is to learn to paddle in a crosswind.

One caveat, however, it has a small day hatch just in front of the seat. When the boat is fully loaded, that thing is just about on the waterline. I had nightmares of the hatch coming off when I was a mile off shore in 3 ft seas. So, I glued it so it will not come off. I now sleep better.

There are a couple of other boats I've seen with these day hatches in front of the seat. I really do recommend gluing that thing shut. I used marine goop, by the way. It seems to stick to the poly pretty well.

Anyway, try the longer boat. And have fun.

Has anyone ever seen a kayak rigged with a trolling motor? Just curious? Not suggesting it for diving.

I have a Cobra Fish/Dive kayak & it can be used with a trolling motor. I have never done that but, it is possible.

Not sure what was so amusing, but back on topic... I totally agree with Piper on that hatch thing, I glued my seat hatch shut as well.

And, hope you have the chance to have a great weekend diving as well.

Well I went with the used 15ft Scupper Pro. I think this will do the trick :D

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

:bounce::bounce3::bounce4::bounce2:Nice lookin' boat!! Let's go divin'!!!

That should work perfectly! Definitely time to take it diving...well after setting up all your lines and such.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom