What size kayak?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a beloved '98 Honda CR-V Adventuremobile with a Thule Rack and a Thule Hullavator. Yes, the Hullavator and rack system were really expensive. Yes, they were really worth it. I'm short and I live alone and without the Hullavator, I'd probably never use my 'yak.
102_2859.JPG

I use my brother's wrangler (he left it here after moving to Arizona). Upside down on the rollbar and windshield with half of a foam noodle over the windshield.
Or I use my Dad's Ram 1500. It is a 14'9" boat so it sticks out quit a way but I pull straps over the part in the bed to keep it from bouncing up and then attach a strap to the cleats on the kayak and pull them back to cleats in the bed to keep it from sliding out.
I really did not consider getting it around when I purchased it becasue I can't do it in my car (convertable).

I carry it to the water epmty (usually over my head) and then bring whatever gear I need down seperately. It helps me to travel light and bring only what I will need.

I have transported kayaks (scrambler, chinook) on roofs of small honda (prelude), medium Honda (CRV) to large honda currently (Oddessy) and I always do the same thing. Turn the kayak upside down, then using two lengths of nylon cord I run a length across the front and back using either the roof rack large car or gutter hooks small car. I pull the cords tight because I double back to where I started and I am off and away. I have never had a problem over hundreds of trips. I do not even use front and back ropes (to the bumpers) most of the time. I am good with knots. I walk my kayak to the water, they are not that heavy compared to my canoe. Less is more.

Tax refund time!!!

I am looking to buy a used kayak from craigs list. There are many XT's on there but it seems a longer yak is the way to go. I am thinking the 13' prowler is the way to go. I am 6'1" and 200# without gear. I am somewhat fit although I am "almost" forty and try to fool myself daily I am still a 25 yro. The 15' seems to me would be harder to paddle as it is quite a bit longer. How is it that a bigger boat is faster and easier to paddle.. there is something in I do not understand here??

I like the payload of the bigger boat. I am going to haul this thing in a Dodge dakota although I think I'll make a rack and tow it on top with a "Y" attachment to the rear bumper with all the gear in the bed.

Right now I am looking at the prowler 13'.

The longer boat will be faster and track better. Of course it will also have a higher payload capacity.

The 13 footer is easier to handle when not in the water, but no by much. I have a 13 foot kayak and it suits me fine. You can not go wrong with either size. Which one is the better deal?

Remember to also look at the width. Longer & narrower are faster but more tippy.

Since this has opened back up, I'll give you my 2 cents... After extensive debate and looking, the wife and I ended up with Wilderness Systems Pungo 140s (14 foot) Here's why. First of all they are plastic / not fiberglass This is great for those ocasional oyster bars that happen to pop up. Second They have a HUGE opening compared to most sit in type yaks. It's about 48 inches and there is a nice skirt that keeps you pretty dry and the sun off your legs. There is also a lot of room for gear. Tanks and BC can store in the back hatch and everything else in the cockpit in front or behind the seat.

They are pretty easy to dive from... to get back in, it's removing the BC and boarding right over the back of the yak by getting my stomach on the rear hatch. Then pull your self forward and straddle the yak. Then it's just a shimmy up until your over the seat and bring the feet in. These things are remarkably stable too!

They are a bit bulky to move around on your own, but it can be done. I don't think a foot shorter would make too much difference in this area. These are a little wider so they don't slice through the water like some / but it's an OK trade off as the general versitility outways any weeknesses. They take us off the beach / up and down the rivers equally as well and we seem to keep up just fine.

Actually I am internet browsing right now with the refund check I do not even have the W2 for yet.

I want to know exactly what I want / need ahead of time. THe best two deals I see right now, which will not be around when I get the "play money" then is:

Prowler15 for sale 15' prowler $575.00

Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT angler edition w/fishfinder Scrambler XT $425.00

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom