What specifically brings you back to Cozumel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to answer the original question... a +1 on what Macado and DiverDan said. The diving is spectacular and the food is good. I love the weather, anytime of year. I'm not wealthy but I can afford to visit. I've come so often now I have local friends and a comfortable spot to land for a few weeks. There are always new things to discover and explore, it's never boring. People are so friendly... I feel safe. I can relax here... it feels like home.

I know many of us return often, but what is it that keeps bringing you back to Coz?

I have only been to Coz twice--once almost 10 years ago, and then again last year. But I suspect I know what WILL keep me and my wife coming back. A number of places in the Caribbean have great diving, but Coz has the unique combination of great diving and great infrastructure AND being in Mexico. We both love Mexico and enjoy having the opportunity to speak Spanish. Elsewhere in the Caribbean, and especially on liveaboards, I'm likely to get a sort of generic "international" experience--food, etc.--with maybe a little Caribbean flavor. Bonaire and Roatan have great diving but lack infrastructure and culture--they are cute but have no soul. In Bonaire, we shop at the grocery store and cook for ourselves, which is efficient but not very interesting. Bonaire is nominally Dutch, but you won't mistake it for Amsterdam (Curacao, maybe!). Roatan is hardly Honduran. It's all just generic. Coz may be overrun with us gringos, but it still feels (and tastes) like Mexico.

I've been accused of working for the Cozumel Chamber of Commerce, so I'll try and be brief.

For me, it's quite simple. Living in the Dallas area, it's a short 2 1/2 hour (tops) flight from home & I'm on the beach.

World class SCUBA diving at a cost of nearly 1/2 what you pay in most other dive destinations that may or may not have as beautiful diving as we have. Spectacular wall & garden dives, turtles, turtles, turtles & Bearded Splendid Toadfish.

The warm friendly people, both locals and ex-pat community. I always feel welcome and meet new friends every time I visit.

Great restaurants with the list of fantastic places to eat growing longer every day.

A wide variety of accommodations from large AI resorts to backpacker's hostas (sp?) and B&B's, there is something for almost every travel budget.

And despite all the latest commercial "upgrades" over the years, (stop lights, mega stores & commercial chain businesses), it's still quite charming and has a very pleasant mix of Old Mexico and tourism...

...my Mayoral campaign posters should be on display soon. :D

---------- Post added August 7th, 2013 at 04:20 PM ----------

Nice location, but they are known to make the worst Margaritas on the island...

Yeah, I'm the world's biggest Parrothead & I don't even go there...

For us, it is also a combo deal. The total cost for the trip overall is one of the best deals for us west coasters. The food is so good, and so inexpensive compared to elsewhere. The diving is excellent, great vis, and great variety. And then, there are the friends we have made over the years. We get to missing them!
Cozumel will remain one of our top destinations.

I agree with all the reasons everyone has listed. It is a very unique location. I found it especially interesting how many people listed the community and the attitude of the locals as a big draw. There are plenty of places you go and the people are indifferent or cold to you. The warmth of the people is very appealing. Throw in great diving, good food and warm tropical weather and it's hard to beat Coz.

We love going there and are always surprised more people aren't coming in droves. I have had some friends tell us it's too dangerous for them and we just look at each other and laugh. There are more criminals and losers in our city than on that island. Oh well.. to each their own.

The drift diving.
The giant coral heads.
The Wall.
The people (some friends of many years).
The hotel (Blue Angel, nee Caribe Blu, nee La Reyna, nee Lorena, nee La Perla).
The restaurants (too numerous to mention).
The (relatively) cheap air fare.
The closeness (wake up at 5, on the island before noon).
The water (100' viz and mid 80's).
The Leon Negra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom