What Thickness Wetsuit Do My Fellow Texans Wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AnyaPetrova

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

I'm brand new to scuba, and the forum, but definitely not Texas! I was born in Houston, lived in Austin, and go to school in San Antonio! But one thing I don't know is what thickness wetsuit I ought to use for Texas dives. I know its a very personal preference type of thing, but I'd love to hear what you are wearing yourself! (And where you dive). Thanks so much! And I'm sorry in advance for all my silly beginner questions :D

Anya!

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I only have two wetsuits: a 2mm shorty and a 5/4/3mm full wetsuit. I rarely use the shorty anywhere but in the pool. I use the 5/4/3 in the spring and fall, a drysuit in the winter, and dive with no thermal protection in the summer. We mainly dive Lake Travis and the surrounding areas.

A lot of the more cold tolerant people out there dive 3mm full suits or no suit from spring through fall.

Welcome to both scubaboard and scubadiving :D

I find my 4/3 full suit is fine for most of my diving in Texas rivers, lakes, out to gulf, and other assorted mudholes I stray into. I also have a 5/3 hooded vest I use to supplement when my 4/3 is not enough. Works good for me.

I use a 3mm for a lot of my diving. In spring and late fall I will supplement this with a 5mm hoodie. When the water gets in mid-60's I switch to a drysuit. For a lot of the time at Travis I use just a bathing suit and rash guard unless I am going deep. For FGMS trips I have a 1mm.

Welcome to the board.

Mike

I get the most use out of a 1/2 mm for warm (80+) water and 5mm for cooler water. I also have a 3/2mm but only use it for shallow dives in the early summer. The 5mm is the workhorse as I dive it all winter in the Comal & San Marcos, add a hooded vest for winter lake dives (and spring FGB), and still use it now in Travis to go below the thermocline now at 60 to 70 ft.

Summer: 3mm
Fall: 5mm
Winter, Early Spring: 7mm
Late Spring: 5mm

It more or less depends on your individual metabolism and comfort zone. Some people get colder quicker than others.

Hope this helps. :)

I like my 3mm shorty for summer time use. I like it alot and dive very well in it. I also have a 3 mm full wetsuit with a 3mm hood and gloves that I used for the first time this year. I was at Travis with it a couple of time and got to 59 degrees in it. If I do that much more I will have to get a thicker one, but it wasn't all that bad.
As ScubaTexan said it all depends on your own individual metabolism.

Summer time diving: 3mm full body
Caribbean diving: 3mm full body
Spring/late fall: 5mm full body
Winter: dry suit
Ice: dry suit :D
Deep diving any time of year except winter (deep > 40 ft): 5mm full body

Good question; Texas is a varied environment. So depends on what you want… to dive.
Buy the suit that will cover 80% of your diving and then add from there. Recommend talking to a fellow diver with similar body type.
3mm- Cozumel, tropical summer, fun. 5mm- Fall and Spring. I would always buy the heavier suit first- you can use it more, but that is a personal choice.
Things to think about-
Some people get cold fast- they need thicker suits. This is mainly ladies that chill fast, like my sweet wife.
Long hair requires more attention to detail- buy a warm cap to help you stay warm after you get out.
If your dive store does not sell what makes you happy look around; don’t buy something that does not make you happy.
Construction goes along way-
I like suits that are easy in and out. That means no silver stuff on the inside of suits- that drives me crazy.
I want a wrist cuff with zipper and ankle cuff, the neck needs to be comfy and seals well.
Fit- I like my suits just a hair loose. I wear a surf shirt under the suit. That makes getting in and out easier, and slows that water down moving around in the suit.
Fit is very personal and this BS about your suit needs to be tight drives me crazy. Suits will cling and feel a bit tight on land- try wet if at all possible.
Buy a scuba hanger with the suit. If possible hang to dry and if you own a house; put a rod and two brackets and mount to a wall in the garage.

Hoods go along way to helping- try lots and buy the one that fits the best.
Surf shirts- with fleece lining and then you need less sun screen. Being a red head I ‘LIVE’ in my surf shirt.
Socks- Socks again are a massive help. They make the bootie easier to slip into and out of and make the comfort for water again. (I whine without my socks.)
Booties- again sneaker type fitted for fin. My pair in going on 5 years old. When you find something you like go with it.

For me in the future- DUI 30/30 drysuit- that will cover everything and easy to pack (but expensive.) My dives are going on one and half hours plus and being wet even in Cozumel is starting to get chilly.
My favorite suits have been- Bare and mares for wet and DUI for drysuit. I am looking at Pinnacle suits for future wet suits, very nice features and construction.
Surf shirt is Bare, socks are XS scuba, hood Mares or DUI ( I have strange shaped head and I will be the first to admit to it.)

If you are looking for value look for specials.
Scubatoys- 7mm Women’s Pinnacle $136.00
Link- ScubaToys Sales and Special Prices
This is a great suit at a great price. You could use this as a comparison for shopping.

Happy hunting and tell us what you think of our crazy comments.
Clear water, Andrew

I wear either my 3/2 or 7mm full for a local lake depending on depth of dive planned or time of year.

I wear my 2 Mil shorty for the Comal river.

I have heard that you don't have to wear anything if you are diving Hipppy Hollow at Lake Travis'. Can anyone confirm that? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom