What thickness wetsuit for Coz in January?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When we lived in Michigan we dove with 7mm farmer john suits but man, I don't even know if I could don one on a smaller boat, let alone pack it without nearly it's own suitcase. I've pumched myself in the face a few times putting my arm thru the sleeve lol. Then there's all the weight needed in saltwater. I usually used a belt plus a few pounds in my integrated BC.

A 5mm would be very comfortable I think. A newer 3mm probably is fine too. If that is not enough you could buy a beanie or even hooded vest in Coz I guess.

WD-40 and duct tape. Don't leave home without it! :D
Is WD-40 allowed on planes? The possibility of a leak seems dangerous.

I do pack heavy. My daughter used to make fun of that, but now just accepts it - and uses some of the extra stuff I pack on camping trips. Last week I did take a small, residual roll of high quality duct tape as it didn't take up much room or weight, and a small roll of 2" and a roll of standard 1" electrical tape. The 1" can be used on a variety of needs, and the 2" was needed to reseal the neck of my pony after valve removal.

I did Roatan 5 dives a day in 2010 in a very well fitted 3mm and hood (mostly for jelly fish) with no issues. I don't remember water temp but I want to say low 80s

What? You think the plane would go to fast?
I'm thinking about the spontaneous combustion of oily fabrics.

I'm thinking about the spontaneous combustion of oily fabrics.
I always take a small aerosol WD-40 to Cozumel in checked baggage. My bags have been inspected many times and nothing was ever said about it.

I've never had a problem packing lube either.

Isn't that what we're talking about?

Well, we have drifted off of topic again.

I always take a small aerosol WD-40 to Cozumel in checked baggage. My bags have been inspected many times and nothing was ever said about it.
Put that in the "Got away with it so far." WD-40 is indeed flammable, great fire campfire starter, as well as compressed.

From Can I Bring an Aerosol Can on a Plane
TSA Prohibited Items
The TSA prohibits any aerosols that are flammable or otherwise hazardous. These include spray paint, cooking spray, WD-40, aerosol laundry products, and all insecticides except those that are applied directly to the skin. These materials are completely prohibited from carry-on bags as well as checked luggage. You can face a hefty fine and possibly even jail time for not following this rule, so if you're not sure about something, it's best leave it at home.

Non-flammable aerosols are permitted in checked luggage only. Very few aerosols are non-flammable, but a few examples include certain electronics cleaners and flat-tire fixers, whipped cream, and perhaps mankind's greatest invention – aerosol cheese.

Flammable Liquid, Gel, or Aerosol Paint | Transportation Security Administration
Flammable Liquid, Gel, or Aerosol Paint
Carry On Bags: No
Checked Bags: No

I've never had a problem packing lube either.

Isn't that what we're talking about?
Depends on the lube.

As you heard from others above, it depends =). I've done a lot of diving in 78 degree water and personally I dive a 5mm custom fullsuit if I'm going to do 5+ dives a day, taking pictures and not moving around a lot. Otherwise a custom 3mm fullsuit would be my choice.

Hope that helps!
Derek & JMJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom