What to do to keep from going insane

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Ok so the post title is an attention grabber but as a new diver who has the goal of becoming an instructor, I am obsessed with diving. I don't have a car (working on getting my passport and funds together so I can leave the country) so getting to and from dive sites can be difficult at best here in Southern California and I do not have a dive buddy who I can partner with. There also isn't a local pool to practice in that is close to me.

I have gone to Meetup and checked out local groups as well as looking for divers in my area from the local dive clubs (there are two main ones in the area that I know of) and I have yet to find a local buddy who could be my ride (I am always willing to and will offer to pitch in for gas).

So while I yearn to dive often I still only have 5 dives in my log so I spend my time here learning as much as I can (which at times can be too much info without enough practical skills practice), I read magazines like Dive Training and am working my way through "The Complete Diver"

For those of you that can't dive daily or even monthly for that matter, how do you keep from making yourself crazy? I know many live in places where diving all year isn't an easy option due to extreme temp changes so how do you do it? What keeps you from losing it when all you really want to do is go dive?

If I don't splash soon I may lose my cool. :pirate2:

Also I am bored at the office and my computer has locked up 4 times this morning. :sod:

FWIW - I'm diving under the ice this weekend.....

I also have (too many) other hobbies...

Get another hobby.

Buy an Italian bike or something.

LOL no I don't need another hobby!! On a side note I see you are from mid-Ohio. I was born and raised around Dayton until I moved out here in 2010.

I feel you. Been drying out myself the last few weeks due to pesky work commitments.

When I'm jonesing I fiddle with my rebreather and watch YouTube videos of diving skills

I took my OW class in Huntington Beach. We were given a full set of gear including wetsuit, weights and tank at the beginning of class and had to bring it with us to every pool and ocean session for six weeks. A girl in the class didn't have a car so she took the bus with all of her gear. She never missed a session.

You might also look at local clubs like the South Orange County Dive Club. They have weekly dives in Laguna Beach and may have members in your area willing to take you.

I took my OW class in Huntington Beach. We were given a full set of gear including wetsuit, weights and tank at the beginning of class and had to bring it with us to every pool and ocean session for six weeks. A girl in the class didn't have a car so she took the bus with all of her gear. She never missed a session.

You might also look at local clubs like the South Orange County Dive Club. They have weekly dives in Laguna Beach and may have members in your area willing to take you.

I had thought about taking a bus to dive sites but that would be going down to Laguna, a two hour trip each way on the bus, and didn't think the bus driver would be stoked on a guy packing dripping wet gear with him on the way back and I don't want to be the cause of anger for anyone.

HB is not a very good place to live if you want to dive local and don't have transport. I have signed up for South Coast Divers but as of yet have not found anyone in my area that dives frequently.

I feel you. Been drying out myself the last few weeks due to pesky work commitments.

When I'm jonesing I fiddle with my rebreather and watch YouTube videos of diving skills

I watch a TON of YouTube videos on skils, being a DM/Instructor, normal dive footage, etc.

I think I have become an addict.

Get a drybag. Deep 6 has a really nice an inexpensive one.

Deep 6 Drybag
I wonder if that would be big enough to pack my wetsuit and BCD, boots and gloves in it? If so this could keep the bus driver(s) (takes three buses to get from HB to Laguna) from killing the soaked guy dripping saltwater all over his bus.

Definetly a good idea I didn't consider. The bus rides there and back will suck at best but I would ride a sloth there if it meant I could dive every weekend.

SvMqqqe.jpg

(Not a man riding a sloth but I couldn't pass up the chance to post this)

Back
Top Bottom