What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The word "fu*k", its derivatives and similar expletives are easy alternatives resorted to by people who are inadequately articulate. The reason you rarely hear well educated people using them is not prudishness but simply that they know how to express themselves better.

I saw this a bar I used to frequent:

Profanity is the attempt of a weak mind to express sh*t.

And you were doing so [-]good[/-] well with your writing! My vote is that the quoted post is from an imposter!:D

:eyebrow:

The word "fu*k", its derivatives and similar expletives are easy alternatives resorted to by people who are inadequately articulate. The reason you rarely hear well educated people using them is not prudishness but simply that they know how to express themselves better.

I dunno ... George Carlin always struck me as a pretty well educated, articulate person ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As someone with multiple degrees, who speaks 3 languages, I'll politely disagree with you. Expletives are simply different ways to articulate what you want. They are no less adequate than any other alternatives, they're just less polite, to some people.

Like someone else mentioned (NWgrateful?) George Carlin was plenty well educated (though perhaps less formally) and quite articulate and he had a whole routine made of such words specifically written to push the boundaries of "airable" as the FCC defines it and question why people consider the words "bad".

Your prerogative of course. Though I'm not clear what "multiple degrees" has to do with it, unless perhaps they're incredibly relevant.

Nonetheless, this language used in common speech is usually used to intimidate and is reprehensible on that ground alone. It is designed to raise tempers all round, and is often the precursor to physical violence.

I've never heard of George Carlin, though I see he was an American stand-up comedian/actor. Not sure what that adds to his credentials here. I might cite Billy Connolly, another stand-up comedian/actor, who in his stage acts is extremely coarse and profane but puts it on deliberately. His use of foul language is deliberate and painstaking and actually becomes funny, but equally doesn't validate that sort of language.

So you are saying that the population of NYC is inadequately articulate? and un educated?

<NYC resident> The Yankees lost last night.
<his buddy> F you, really?
<resident> F'n A they did.
<resident> you going to the Harvard reunion next month.
<buddy> F, is that next month?

very expressive and articulate, you just have to speak the language properly, like Ebonics.

:lol:

I've never heard of George Carlin ...

Well then, perhaps you should ... he was quite the philosopher ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom