What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but if Robert is series I suspect that his associations are not as limited as you might think.
Did you mean "serious"?
I am not a prude and I think sometimes a well placed explicative is exactly what is called for. With that being said, I do question the intelligence/education of those who must speak as in SailNaked’s example.
Did you mean "Expletive"? Because an explicative is something that is explanatory. While it certainly may be exactly what is called for, I'm not sure it's relevant to this conversation. :)
When someone speaks like that it is not your language that offends me, you just remind me of those people that must insert ‘you know’ and ‘like’ zealously throughout every sentence. It just shows an inability to express yourself in a meaningful way and I question your intelligence and education.
I'm just, you know, questioning your education. :)

LOL. No problems here. Spelling has been an issue for me all my life and I struggle with it daily. I actually have a learning disability (and a Master's degree).

As a child, the school and my parents insisted I get tested because I did so well in some subjects and so poorly in others. So after many test they found that my IQ was very high in some areas and not so good (embarrassingly low) in others. I use to make my wife proof read everything I wrote in college just for the reasons you pointed out. I would do stupid things like type 'good' when I meant 'could'. I don't know why I do it-maybe I rush, maybe it is because I still see the letter 'e' pointing the wrong way at times.

For these reasons, I am probably extra sensitive to people who appear to put in very little effort to speak and write well.

I'm just, you know, questioning your education

I picked up that OldNSalty had a problem with dyslexia or similar and I thought it would be tasteless to bring it up.

As to Benny Hill, yes, he was a good comic. As I said, I've never seen or heard George Carlin. But just for interest I looked up what Wikipedia says about Billy Connolly. It describes him as perhaps the greatest stand-up comedian of all time. So I'd take him over Benny Hill, profanities 'n all.

Billy Connolly is simply brilliant - I also think that Robin Williams is a comedy genius but, Peter, Ken Dodd IMHO is also a fantastic comic. Not many people outside the UK would have heard of Doddy and even within the UK people might not agree with me but in some ways I'd put Doddy above Billy (for sheer longevity :)

I agree that Diddy is/was great, but of course his name was tarnished by the tax scandal.

I'm quite insulted. There is simply NEVER a time when vulgarity is acceptable. I don't care the situation. That any of you find it even remotely acceptable tells me that you are not people I would want to associate with. I never use that sort of language. NEVER. And during a class I make sure all the students understand it's not acceptable during the class. I have no problem politely refunding their money, minus deposit, if they cannot conform to those standards for the duration of the course. What a perfectly sad world we live in that any sort of foul language is "commonplace".

Uh, you ARE kidding...right? Please tell me that my sarcasm meter is on the fritz.:shakehead:

Uh, you ARE kidding...right? Please tell me that my sarcasm meter is on the fritz.:shakehead:

Hey, you know what Robin Williams always said ... "Joke 'em if they can't take a f#@k" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom