What to do when an instructor is out of line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since there was enough information for people to ID the shop, real damage could result from this, at a time when dive shops in Texas are already IN trouble.

I'd like to point out that I went out of my way to avoid naming the instructor or shop and don't believe it is necessary for the purposes of my discussion.

The incident was referred to PADI QA and I trust that they will ensure remediation is taken. To clarify, if it were my decision (and it's not) I think Anger management is a good place to start as a condition of continued active status to teach. Perhaps some remedial customer service training as well.

Being point on with your knowledge and piss poor in your delivery still makes you a crappy instructor. The art of teaching involves connecting with your student AND imparting knowledge. Being professional means setting examples and knowing when you aren't comfortable teaching someone and setting it aside.

"Git R Done" in diving gets people killed. In training it's not always going to be clear water and cool things but there is no reason to lose it when something doesn't go as planned. The purpose of training is to plan, execute, evaluate, correct, and re-do.

Deep is one thing. Dark and low-viz make it seem deeper and there is just no prize for seeing how quickly you can go down and come back up.

The reality is that when you are doing 3 deep dives in a 6 hour training period (yes that was the plan) and you are essentially "bounce" diving... when something screws a dive up you have shot your training agenda for the day. PADI doesn't allow more than 3 training dives per day. So if you screw one up now you can't complete the agenda in a single day. So is that greed? or just lack of flexibility? Does it matter?

It's a whacked set of priorities that don't place mastery of skills and knowledge and safety at the top of the priority list. That's dangerous and it doesn't need to be that way. After all, you don't teach diving to get rich, you teach it because you enjoy it and love helping others... or at least that's the fair tale.

Of course my favorite NFL game of the year is DAL vs PHL... because one of them has to lose!

PS - do you know why Dallas is called "America's Team"?

Because every year - like the rest of America - they watch the Super Bowl on TV.

:eyebrow:

Finally, something we can both agree on..... Dallas is not our favorite team. :D

I'm not really a big fan of the "Texans" either... .ewww what a cheesy name, but better then the "oilers" and their obnoxious owner. Now if they would just manage it right....

I honestly prefer IHL hockey and WNBA. I like to see some competition. Not giants that take 3 steps from one end of the court to the other. Besides, hockey is 3 sports in one... fighting, fools, and oh yea, ice hockey. :)

Rumor is there's an initiative underway to bring professional football back to DC...

Could happen; they finally got a professional baseball team back after all those years.

:shocked2:

I think they have a few football games every week...

cnn vs. fox
republicans vs. dems

All playing keep away from the real work of the day.

Instructors are human. Some are great some are not. No one should be called a F*&%ing anything ever.

You are responsible for every dive. You took care of yourself and retuned safely. Good for you. That is a sign of a good diver.

Don't let one jerk spoil your diving pleasure.

Good diving.

Samuel Jackson as instructor, anyone else as student--:eyebrow:

SNAKES! ON! A! BOAT!

I hate ^#@ SNAKES on a *&(#$ BOAT!

Of course my favorite NFL game of the year is DAL vs PHL... because one of them has to lose!

PS - do you know why Dallas is called "America's Team"?

Because every year - like the rest of America - they watch the Super Bowl on TV.

:eyebrow:

Uhhhhh....where were the Jersey Giants in the 90's when Da Boys won THREE superbowls? Oh my....they were watching TV (except for ONE year....lucky bastards :) ).

Samuel Jackson as instructor, anyone else as student--:eyebrow:

SNAKES! ON! A! BOAT!

I hate ^#@ SNAKES on a *&(#$ BOAT!

Joe Pesci as instructor, Ray Liotta as student...

"What do you mean I dive funny?"

0.jpg

"It's just, you know. Your trim, it's... funny. The way you kick and everything."

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f***ed up maybe, but I dive funny how, I mean I dive like a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh, I dive to f***n' amuse you? What do you mean I dive funny, funny how? How is my diving f***in' funny? How the f*** am I funny, what the f*** is so f***ing funny about me? Tell me, tell me what's funny!"

I think when it is directed at an inanimate object it's fine..

That F-Ng thing won't work.

or

That F***ng shark scared me....

or even

That f***ng fool on that boat over there (a few hundred yards) is fine.

or even

Those F***ng sailboats didn't have to come so close us to while we were in the swimming area. (I do sail btw.... )

However..... in a customer or instructor-student relationship it represents disrespect for the student, a lack of professionalism, and the inability to maintain composure. All things that are expected of someone in a paid leadership position.

Thing - inanimate
Shark - animate (presumes living)
fool - animate (presumes human)
sailboat - animate (presumes wind still blows)

And you were doing so good with your writing! My vote is that the quoted post is from an imposter!:D

-- duplicate post --

The word "fu*k", its derivatives and similar expletives are easy alternatives resorted to by people who are inadequately articulate. The reason you rarely hear well educated people using them is not prudishness but simply that they know how to express themselves better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom