What to do with HP119 tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've actually considered trying out sidemount. Not sure if it would offset the weight enough though to be useful for me.

I've actually considered trying out sidemount. Not sure if it would offset the weight enough though to be useful for me.

Actually, one of the local dive shops in my area is a big proponent of side mount. And, a lot of folks who dive out of that shop are diving sidemount. I'm not quite there yet but, not opposed to trying something new down the road.

I suspect you'd not want to do it with 119's ... particularly after watching a rather well-known sidemounter who was used to diving AL80's go tumbling down the side of a wall upon entering the water with a pair of 119's without modifying the amount of weight he's used to using ... :shocked:

Fortunately he was prepared for the bottom being at 210 feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yeah, I'm pretty well decided to trade it for an HP100. But I am considering trying sidemount at some point.

Yeah, I'm pretty well decided to trade it for an HP100. But I am considering trying sidemount at some point.
Have you seen side mount done on local shore dives? The couple of times I've seen side mount divers here, they said they wouldn't do shore dives like that again.

I'm curious too, but I want to see how folks handle the details.

Having matching tanks will make your surface interval a lot less hassle because you won't spending it adjusting cam bands.

I did exactly that when I went to sidemount ... traded a manifolded set of 119 doubles for two HP100's. Worked out quite well for both of us ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think I'm in luck. My HP100 is a PST tank. I have person who has an identical tank (HP Steel 100 PST) that is willing to trade. I think that is ideal.

edit - hold on. It may not be a great deal. I just read that PST hydro will be ending next year. Which means that if the department of transportation doesnt renew their certification, the tank will be junk in just a few years. I better do some more research.

It's a trade, just make it contingent on it passing a visual inspection. Steel tanks, when taken care of, will last virtually forever, another key feature. The guy getting the 119 in hydro is getting good deal in this trade, if you are worried about the hydro, get it done as part of the deal.

Actually his is in an almost identical situation. His hydro is about a year old as is mine, and we both have just have a VIP done. So its almost even trade.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom