What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

witz.JPG

Get one ^ of these. http://www.leisurepro.com/catalog.aspx?op=gcssearch&term=witz+case

Not sure I'd trust the phone case but I've used one of the thinner ones (same one) for a decade with no leaks - including a week of shore diving on Bonaire. It has a small o-ring seal that I lube once a year or so. I actually wear it on the lanyard most of every day while diving/driving around tucked under my shirt.Cash, credit card, sometimes c-card if I think I'm diving with multiple shops.

Otherwise show your BMP orientation tag (it clips to your BC) on the off-chance you encounter a BMP ranger - we never did all week except once on a boat dive briefly. Our DM told us she would be allowed to go home to get her driver's license also but not sure if that applies to guests.

They also sell two versions of a glasses case. I don't know how the wider phone/glasses cases will handle the pressure since none of these are dive rated.

Some of the car rentals on Bonaire are rented with smart keys now so the carbinier/quick links in a pocket are not such a good idea.
Although quick links do work well, I use one to mount my video housing coiled retainer to my BC d-ring. Since they lock down, not much chance of them coming loose.

link.JPG

Here's what we're talking about but I also buy the plated ones from Home Depot. Quick Links : Tech Diving Limited, The Leading Source for Diving Equipment

Almost all the trucks are 4 doors so if there's 2 of you, the backseat is a good place to loosely store your gear between dives. Tanks go in the back and won't be touched, no shop fills anothers so they're not good for resale.

I'm not suggesting this but I left my video camera between the seats in town covered by a towel accidentally once while we ran an errand - windows down. Still there when I got back.

I think most of the thefts occur at the remote sites where they can watch from the bushes/rocks and know you'll likely be gone 45mins. to an hour.

Last edited:
My main concern is my wife's prescription glasses. If she were to lose them her trip would be a bust (although I guess she could wear her prescription mask everywhere for the rest of the trip). LOL

Stuff your T-shirts, sunglasses, sandals, shorts & towels in a grocery bag, pop up the rental car hood, shove the bag in any open space inside engine compartment, slam down the hood, and go diving.

Now why didn't I think of that.

Stuff your T-shirts, sunglasses, sandals, shorts & towels in a grocery bag, pop up the rental car hood, shove the bag in any open space inside engine compartment, slam down the hood, and go diving.

There have been reports of stolen car batteries and siphoned gasoline, so hiding it in the mechanical portions of the car may not always work.

image.jpeg
There have been reports of stolen car batteries and siphoned gasoline, so hiding it in the mechanical portions of the car may not always work.

Then, you would be out of luck. It's time to go diving elsewhere. There are plenty better diving sites not to far from there, like Cabo Pulmo in Sea of Cortez, which is about 2.5hr flight from Houston. Check the above picture. I've been there 3x and 3 out of 3 we saw those tons of jackfish.

My glasses go in a pocket. As a SB friend, our skin is as salty as the sea.
An old T shirt wont be missed if it ever walks away, and who wants an already opened plastic bottle of water.

The only problem we have encountered is the newer electronic keys. We have disassembled some, hidden others. Some friends carry them in a reliable wayerproof case.

In over 10 years all we have ever had walk off was one cheap pair of sunglasses, that were easy to replace.

Its a small island. There really is no need to leave anything you value in your truck, as its a short ride anywhere, except in Washington Slagbai.

I put my prescription glasses in a small drybox. I think it was a Pelican, so we thought it would hold up... It kept my glasses intact but flooded on every dive! We started calling it the semi-dry box.

Another diver in our group had a small, cheap "dry box". It imploded at 80 feet. Later, he claimed it was not a dry box, it was an 80 foot depth warning device. :eyebrow:

Ive never owned an "actually dry", drybox :(
I keep a cheap eye glass case in my gear, just so i can protect the glasses while diving, they really do not need to be kept dry, but it is nice to not break them while entering or exiting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom