What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now, you're just showing off... lol

It's a statement of fact. I tech dive, and will be on a 200ft wreck dive this weekend, with that same flashlight body containing my keys. It's worked for me for a couple of years, why not share it?
And how does sharing a fact equate to showing off?

The OP's concern seems to be eyeglasses. For something like that, I would suggest a hard case, if not a canister-type solution. Unlike boxes, with their odd shapes and gaskets, a canister's cylindrical shape inherently resists pressure, and the circular o-ring may be more secure.

Get a cheap pair and stick them under the other 2 tanks in the back: "they don't take tanks" and so probably won't look under there. I also wonder if they'd actually get crushed at depth.

Get a cheap pair and stick them under the other 2 tanks in the back: "they don't take tanks" and so probably won't look under there. I also wonder if they'd actually get crushed at depth.

That's a fine option. Have a couple of cheap ($60?) pairs made at Walmart or Costco or somewhere like that, and leave the expensive pair at home. I do suspect that fragile wire frames in a plastic bag that can't be completely evacuated of air might get bent up as the bag compresses or if the diver is careless with the bag.

Those dry bags/sacks are not all that reliable, and will not keep your stuff from getting crushed at depth. I know some people have used them successfully for things as relatively fragile and susceptible to water damage as cell phones, but I wouldn't rely on them. The OP's concern seems to be eyeglasses. For something like that, I would suggest a hard case, if not a canister-type solution. Unlike boxes, with their odd shapes and gaskets, a canister's cylindrical shape inherently resists pressure, and the circular o-ring may be more secure.

I agree that it would be bad to drag a dry bag under the surface. My spool has about 80' of line, after I took off about 20' to fit my hook. I haven't done it, but I would think 80 of line would be enough depth for a shore dive. Keep plenty of air in the dry bag and let it act as an SMB while diving. Just a thought...

dry bag on the boat.. that always does the job

Always, except what the OP asked about.

Is it a good idea when you are 80' deep with your dry bag floating on a string attached to your BCD? I'm thinking of a boat passing by & get the string tangled on the boat bottom rudder or wrapped around the propeller shaft then you get dragged to the surface so fast & got bent.

Is it a good idea when you are 80' deep with your dry bag floating on a string attached to your BCD? I'm thinking of a boat passing by & get the string tangled on the boat bottom rudder or wrapped around the propeller shaft then you get dragged to the surface so fast & got bent.

Yeah, I wonder about dragging the flag on a buoy, too, but somehow in many places with boat traffic they want you to do it.

ISAGN: a buoy with a built-in dry bag compartment.

This thread is getting silly. Easiest solution is: Leave credit card, cell phone and wallet in the safe at hotel.10 dollars in a plastic bag in BC pocket with car key. 10 dollar sunglasses hidden in the truck.

Buoys and reels would be a real encumbrance on Bonaire.
+

This thread is getting silly. Easiest solution is: Leave credit card, cell phone and wallet in the safe at hotel.10 dollars in a plastic bag in BC pocket with car key. 10 dollar sunglasses hidden in the truck.

What would you recommend doing with a pair of prescription eyeglasses? I believe it was revealed somewhere in this thread that that was one of the OP's major concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom