What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is getting silly. Easiest solution is: Leave credit card, cell phone and wallet in the safe at hotel.10 dollars in a plastic bag in BC pocket with car key. 10 dollar sunglasses hidden in the truck.

I think the problem is OP started with "we haven't been to Bonaire yet", presumably they're going by all those "Bonaire crime is running rampant" threads. The reality is a) the chances of your truck getting hit are pretty low and b) you'll be 10-15 minutes away from the hotel most of the time, you don't need to drag stuff worth stealing around with you.

Leave the prescription glasses in the hotel room.

Depending on one's vision, driving to the dive site without corrective lenses, one might hit a donkey, or worse. Another poster who apparently normally wears glasses suggested getting contact lenses just to dive with. It's kind of a clever idea, because one could even get a prescription for contacts that facilitates reading gauges. I wear contacts all the time, so it's not an issue for me, but I can appreciate how someone with eyeglasses might wonder what to do with them during a Bonaire shore dive. I, too, would have thought the thread "getting silly" in view of the dozens of previous (and searchable) threads in which this topic has been discussed, but for the question about eyeglasses. See, even a tired old topic can contain a new bit.

Redundancy. :-D For prescription glasses, I already have 2 pairs total. So, if the OP does, he could leave the "good" pair in the room and stow the "beater pair" (i.e., the ones with any scratches) under the car seat. Unless your whole car gets jacked, you should be okay, no?

Depending on one's vision, driving to the dive site without corrective lenses, one might hit a donkey, or worse. Another poster who apparently normally wears glasses suggested getting contact lenses just to dive with. It's kind of a clever idea, because one could even get a prescription for contacts that facilitates reading gauges. I wear contacts all the time, so it's not an issue for me, but I can appreciate how someone with eyeglasses might wonder what to do with them during a Bonaire shore dive. I, too, would have thought the thread "getting silly" in view of the dozens of previous (and searchable) threads in which this topic has been discussed, but for the question about eyeglasses. See, even a tired old topic can contain a new bit.

I wore contacts for many years and they were great but they no longer work for me for everyday life. When your eyes get older the muscles that control focusing near and far don't respond as quickly. My doc tried many options but I finally had to give up the contacts and now I almost always have 2 pair of prescription glasses with me, regular and sunglasses.

But the good news is that my eye doc figured out a contact lens prescription that I can wear underwater. It is mostly for distance but it works pretty good close up too because of the magnification factor of water. It's not like I plan to read a novel while I'm diving and the lenses are fine for checking gauges and seeing tiny critters.

I am very happy that I can still wear contacts for diving and I don't have to drag multiple pairs of glasses around with me. So talk to your eye professional and see what he/she recommends.

Contacts may not always work in a mask clearing scenario. I know this doesn't specifically answer your question, but have you considered a prescription mask lens? They're not cheap from what I understand, but if you have a mask you love its something to keep in mind. Regardless, I would think that a pair of regular eyeglasses left on the seat of the truck would not be at all attractive in the unlikely event someone does want to rummage through it.

I am the one who dives with contacts... MikeT73, you are correct, they are not for everyone. I have been diving for a long time. Before contacts, I (and friends) would often do our safety stops with our masks on our foreheads (we are all very comfortable in the water and understand our gear by second nature). Since I started using contacts, I must keep my eyes closed, or lose the contacts when my mask is off my face. That is something to consider for many.

Personally, I have no issues with eyes closed, but others might have anxiety issues...

Back to the prescription glasses issue and leaving them in the vehicle. I would not hesitate to leave them, and leave them in open view. They are an unlikely target unless they are sunglasses. Regular glasses have no resale value on the streets of Bonaire, or... pretty much anywhere unless you can find someone with the same prescription... lol

It took me two years to end up with a "burner" pair of prescription glasses, and I take them to Bonaire each year instead of my favorite pair because I don't want to take a chance on losing my favorite glasses

. . .
Back to the prescription glasses issue and leaving them in the vehicle. I would not hesitate to leave them, and leave them in open view. They are an unlikely target unless they are sunglasses. Regular glasses have no resale value on the streets of Bonaire, or... pretty much anywhere unless you can find someone with the same prescription... lol

One would think. But even ratty old t-shirts have been stolen, perhaps just for the joy of vandalism and not for gain. I suppose a frame that looks nice could have some street value. Maybe the crooks aren't that sophisticated to know, but frames can cost hundreds of dollars.

It took me two years to end up with a "burner" pair of prescription glasses, and I take them to Bonaire each year instead of my favorite pair because I don't want to take a chance on losing my favorite glasses

I think that's the ticket for wearers of glasses who need them to drive to and from dive sites. Well, I suppose one could wear their prescription mask :wink:

I am the one who dives with contacts... MikeT73, you are correct, they are not for everyone. I have been diving for a long time. Before contacts, I (and friends) would often do our safety stops with our masks on our foreheads (we are all very comfortable in the water and understand our gear by second nature). Since I started using contacts, I must keep my eyes closed, or lose the contacts when my mask is off my face. That is something to consider for many.

Personally, I have no issues with eyes closed, but others might have anxiety issues...

I hear ya, man. Those are good points (and I don't wear contacts, fyi). I guess I don't think twice about those scenarios either, but you're right that someone might freak out if faced with it. My comment was actually directed to the point of potentially getting salt water between the eye and the lens (ouch!) or even worse, some weird bug that causes an infection if they aren't promptly cleaned or taken out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom