What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been on Bonaire for the last 2 weeks, no issues with things walking off. I take my shorts, shirt, glasses and tevas and put them under 2 of the tanks in the bed of the truck. I keep 50 cash in my bcd. Truck and room key go in a trim weight pocket that velcros and clips shut. Leave everything else in your room. Its not too complicated.

It's a very eerie feeling when a water wallet implodes against your chest at 80 feet.

I'm going to use one of those cell phone plastic bag type cases to hold some cash and a credit card. Squeeze the air out, seal it, and put it in my BC pocket or hang around my neck under the wetsuit. For my sunglasses and cheap reading glasses, put it in a neoprene pouch and into the BC. Don't care if they get wet as you can dry them after the dive. No bulky boxes that implode to worry about. For clothes, either under the fender behind the wheel in a plastic bag, or under the tanks as suggested above.

If I had very expensive eyeglasses, I guess I'd carry them in something more secure than the average Otterbox-type drybox. Something like this: McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

Or you could just go to Wal-Mart or Costco and buy a couple of cheaper pairs with your prescription and not worry too much if they get damaged or lost.

I got a prescription for contacts just for diving (and underwater photography). I keep the glasses in our room and use them mainly at night once we are in for the evening

I have an old dive light, took out the batteries. The space is big enough for keys and glasses and it's been down to 200 ft with no implosion.

Is there any reason you wouldn't stuff everything into a dry sack and then attach it to your reel? It keeps everything safe, dry and acts as a DSMB. I have never done a shore dive. So, am I being stupid?

My DSMB has only about 20' long string. If I dive 80' deep, then I'd need that long of a reel, won't I? Some dive site can be pretty deep. I went to Karpata ~ 105' deep.

Last edited:
Is there any reason you wouldn't stuff everything into a dry sack . . . .

Those dry bags/sacks are not all that reliable, and will not keep your stuff from getting crushed at depth. I know some people have used them successfully for things as relatively fragile and susceptible to water damage as cell phones, but I wouldn't rely on them. The OP's concern seems to be eyeglasses. For something like that, I would suggest a hard case, if not a canister-type solution. Unlike boxes, with their odd shapes and gaskets, a canister's cylindrical shape inherently resists pressure, and the circular o-ring may be more secure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom