What type of swim suit do you prefer (not brand)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kimbalabala

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Getting ready for a week on Blackbeard and need to get at least one new suit. I've been thinking about a tankini because I'm one of those weirdos who can't pee in the ocean (pathetic, I know). I also have some difficulty with my right rotator cuff so putting on and taking off a tight bathing suit top can be painful. Either way I know I'll just have to deal with a little pain or a little inconvenience, but I'm curious about what the rest of you gals prefer on a dive. One piece, two piece, tankini, skirted, board shorts and a rash guard with a bikini top underneath? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Jax
I always wear a wetsuit, so no skirts, baubles, buckles etc. I like tankinis (covers the stretch marks :) ). I like the ones sold as separate pieces. I can then buy two bottoms, one plain and one skirted for the beach after.

Bikini under a wetsuit, sometimes a chill or rash guard under. I hate bathing suits too restrictive. Unpadded underwire bikinis.

I typically pack both tankinis and one piece swimsuits. I cannot believe that I am posting this, but when I have to pee and am wearing a one piece, I am too lazy and modest to pull the whole thing down. I simply pull the crotch strip over to the side(in groin fold) and viola! Replace, tuck etc when done. I believe that when you find a brand of swimsuit that wears and fits well, stick with it in order to prevent the he!! of swimsuit shipping. I like the tankini selection of Lands End and SOMA.

I typically pack both tankinis and one piece swimsuits. I cannot believe that I am posting this, but when I have to pee and am wearing a one piece, I am too lazy and modest to pull the whole thing down. I simply pull the crotch strip over to the side(in groin fold) and viola! Replace, tuck etc when done. I believe that when you find a brand of swimsuit that wears and fits well, stick with it in order to prevent the he!! of swimsuit shipping. I like the tankini selection of Lands End and SOMA.

LOL! I typically pull aside the suit to do what needs to be done as well! And yes, it's as much a modesty issue as laziness. I'm drawing a blank on "SOMA" - what is that?

When I was a younger woman I thought that at the 50+ mark I would have made peace with an aging body and not worried about how being a real woman includes stretch marks and a flabby belly. I actually remember looking forward to my 50's because then it wouldn't matter if I had a spare tire and some wrinkles! Unfortunately, it turns out that I aged in a time of plastic surgery and raging anorexia so I'm not real comfortable "letting it all hang out"! I'm constantly trying to tuck in the muffin tops and hide the cellulite. Sucks.

I take a tankini and a one piece. I like a tankini so if I have to pee, I don't have to take an entire suit off. I like the feel of the one piece under my Farmer Jane suit because it's hard to pull up and the tankini top isn't as easy to pull the suit up over. I love Land's End swimsuits....tankinis, one piece....they are built for quality and some are also for women who aren't anorexic models.

Agree about tankinis, and particularly Lands End ones. Love to be able to mix and match. However, I don't like the halter top type since the tie sits at my neck, right at the neck of my wetsuit, causing me to feel like I have a huge blob on the back of my neck....very uncomfortable.

The less material in the suit, the better it is. At least for a female swimsuit anyway.

Just a guys perspective thrown in for consideration.

Tankini, greatest style to come along in ages. As for the issue of the top needing to be tucked as wetsuit fully donned. I consider that a small price to pay. Also like to get more than one matching pair of bottoms as they seem to wear out a bit faster than the tops. Yes one pieces often got pulled to the side but that often starts to breakdown the stretch in that area. I regret that I am seeing more one pieces fewer Tankinis on the racks these days. I seem to be prone to buying my suits in bunches.

I usually have bikini bottoms and rash guard top. I had a bikini top once had a "wardrobe malfunction" when i started shredding the wet suit after the dive. So I usually use just the rash guard for the top now. A lot of bikini tops have ties in the back and I found that the knot was at the back where my tank sits. If the water is cold I'll wear a one piece though under the wet suit. Even if water is warm I'm going with a rash guard over a suit anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom