What wing to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The other issue with that wing for the new model FP is that I don’t see 11” center gromet holes, which isn’t a huge problem because the wing could be laid over the rail bars and The cam bands run through the wing slots and through the plate instead of getting mounted in between the plate and rail bracket. But the slots would need to line up with the slots in the plate and I can’t tell from the photo if that would work or not.
Other than that it’s a nice looking wing.

As far as I know, they would do some customization on it per customer request. Not sure of how flexible they are however.

Do you have a picture of a wing that has what you said so that I can suggest to them the modification?

As far as I know, they would do some customization on it per customer request. Not sure of how flexible they are however.

Do you have a picture of a wing that has what you said so that I can suggest to them the modification?
Not really. The easy way to modify that wing would be to lay the wing on the FP then line up at least the top slots, if the bottom slots lined up too that would be a bonus. Then while the slots are lined up mark where the holes need to be with a white china marker. Then take a hot screw driver or some other round tool that can be heated with a torch and melt some holes into the center panel of the wing where bolts will go. This would be the easiest DIY fix and it would work fine. If you wanted to add actual metal grommets to the holes, take it to a place that could install those for you.

I believe Soprastek is out of the Czech Republic and they are a part of the EU. They make a donut wing in various sizes. They have models with full panels with slots for tank straps and they have models with a webbing cross similar to the Dive Rite travel and voyager wings. They should have something that is compatible with the freedom plate.

Bladders – Page 2 – Sopras Tek

-Z

The other question is if anybody can recommend any wing in this size span that is well built and reasonable prized inside the EU, I like my blackbird but the smallest blackbird is 12 l (28 lbs) and I think maybe a smaller wing will fit me better for tropical diving, also the Blackbird don't have any slots for cambands, which I understand can be good to have when using the Freedom plate.

I have a Hollis 25 but I ended up cutting camband slots and re-stitching the grommets. They may have changed them on newer models but on mine they didn't line up with either the storm Alu plate, or FP.

I signed up for a Freedom Plate too, my old poodle jacket is wearing out. Eric recommends the Argonaut from Vintagedoublehose.com, but they've been sold out forever. Is Oxycheq the next best choice? What makes the Argonaut better (if anything)? That's the only brand I've ever used, so my default choice.

I've been speaking with Bryan from VDH and he is expecting to have wings back in stock next week.

Thank you for all the answers.

Right now I thinking of either get the OMS 27, Apex 18 or Oxycheq 18.

The Apex and OMS I found in Europe for around 200-250 €.

The Oxycheq I have only found from the US and i found it for 320 US$.

I would prefer to get the Oxycheq (I can get that one in purple) but with the higher price and import costs it will be about 350-380 €, And I have not counted the higher shipping cost from the US. Almost twice the price.

Thank you for all the answers.

Right now I thinking of either get the OMS 27, Apex 18 or Oxycheq 18.

The Apex and OMS I found in Europe for around 200-250 €.

The Oxycheq I have only found from the US and i found it for 320 US$.

I would prefer to get the Oxycheq (I can get that one in purple) but with the higher price and import costs it will be about 350-380 €, And I have not counted the higher shipping cost from the US. Almost twice the price.
If you were looking for a wing to go with my plate specifically out of those three, then I would pick the Oxycheq.
But if you do that then why not just go with the VDH 18 instead? It’s just as good or better and less money. They both ship from the US so no difference there.

I signed up for a Freedom Plate too, my old poodle jacket is wearing out. Eric recommends the Argonaut from Vintagedoublehose.com, but they've been sold out forever. Is Oxycheq the next best choice? What makes the Argonaut better (if anything)? That's the only brand I've ever used, so my default choice.
I own both and both are excellent wings.

One obvious diference is the price with the oxycheq typically considerably more.

Second is customer service though you are unlikely to need it with either wing. Oxycheq is not known for their service while VDH is.

Third difference is materials. Again they are both excellent but the Oxycheq is notably more rigid so slightly more of an issue for some with packing for airline travel. I have often said the Oxycheq is built like a tank, very heavy duty.

Vintage Double Hose (Bryan@Vintage Double Hose) is a small business and as such the recent popularity of his products has caused some growing pains. I counsel patience if you have the time and wait for his product. Its a good wing and his business has earned its reputation. But if time is a factor and you have the funds, the Oxycheq is an excellent alternative.

Back
Top Bottom