What wing to get.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you were looking for a wing to go with my plate specifically out of those three, then I would pick the Oxycheq.
What is it that make you would pick the Oxycheq instead of for example the Apex 18?

But if you do that then why not just go with the VDH 18 instead? It’s just as good or better and less money. They both ship from the US so no difference there.

If the VDH is much better than any similar wing I can get here, than I would consider that one too, the reason I considered the Oxycheck is just superficial, I can get that one in purple.

I own both and both are excellent wings.

One obvious diference is the price with the oxycheq typically considerably more.

Second is customer service though you are unlikely to need it with either wing. Oxycheq is not known for their service while VDH is.

Third difference is materials. Again they are both excellent but the Oxycheq is notably more rigid so slightly more of an issue for some with packing for airline travel. I have often said the Oxycheq is built like a tank, very heavy duty.

Vintage Double Hose (Bryan@Vintage Double Hose) is a small business and as such the recent popularity of his products has caused some growing pains. I counsel patience if you have the time and wait for his product. Its a good wing and his business has earned its reputation. But if time is a factor and you have the funds, the Oxycheq is an excellent alternative.

Can you comment on the size of the VDH compared to the Oxy wing?

I just picked up a VDH18 to replace a DSS18 wing. The one thing that shocked me was how big the VDH was compared to the DSS. I didnt stick a ruler to it, but the VDH was nearly twice as thick.

The weather has changed so no chance to dive it, but I am actually concerned about the wing's performance when full against the tank.

Thanks.

I just got my grandson an OxyCheq 18# wing in blue for Christmas to go with a new Freedom Plate. Also bought two blue cam band weight pockets from OxyCheq. I gotta say that it's one sexy looking rig. The OxyCheq units are of very good quality and the fact that they are available in colors is a big plus.

Can you comment on the size of the VDH compared to the Oxy wing?

I just picked up a VDH18 to replace a DSS18 wing. The one thing that shocked me was how big the VDH was compared to the DSS. I didnt stick a ruler to it, but the VDH was nearly twice as thick.

The weather has changed so no chance to dive it, but I am actually concerned about the wing's performance when full against the tank.

Thanks.
My Oxycheq is a 30 and the VDH is an 18 so can not compare wing to wing but the ratio length to depth to width is roughly the same.

It sounds like you have concerns about the streamline profile and possible loss of lift with tank compression. This was a concern with the streamline profile wings and has been mentioned in prior posts. I believe my Oxycheq 30 functions more like a 28 or so but I have to say I have not noticed this with the VDH. I use my 18 on all dives except Florida where I use steel tanks and a pony. I can’t find it but there is a thread that discusses actual measured lift of the Argonaut wings.

Found the post. looks like it tested at 21 lbs of lift.

Ok.....I'm sure my results will be called suspect since I'm the one who sells it but here goes. This is how I remember how to test them. Just take a look at the pictures. This is my wife's rig. #18 wing, standard aluminum DIR style plate and harness. All right off the shelf stuff I sell. Weights right at 5lbs. I then put the wing/plate/harness etc on an 80cf aluminum cylinder and filled the wing with a flush hose thought the inflator till the OPV was venting. Pictures are of wing mounted on cylinder full of water and you can see it has expanded about as far as it can. Took it off the cylinder and hung it back up on the scale and it's about 26lbs.....So if i figure it correctly 26lbs - 5lbs =21lbs. So I guess I sold everyone wings with a lift of #21 not actually #18...then again that was with it filled to the point the OPV was leaking.

NOTE....I don't have a #35 here to test....I don't have any need for one so there are none in service here in FLA.When they arrive in a couple of weeks I will ask a customer if I can test their wing and post the results. What I won't do is take a new wing, fill it with water for testing then send it on to a customer telling them it's brand new. Of course I'll make it worth their while to let me get it wet.

What is it that make you would pick the Oxycheq instead of for example the Apex 18?
As far as I know the Apex wing is a great wing but I also understsnd that the slots don’t line up with the FP. I could be wrong and I have a friend in Southern California who owns one, I could check with him on dimensions to make sure and get back to you.
The reason I recommended Oxy over Apex is because I have first hand knowledge that Oxy’s will fit the FP.
The reason I recommend the VDH wing over everything else is because I like the weight and less bulk/stiffness. It’s easier to pack and deal with. I also like the perimiter bungee inside the wing which pulls it in evenly when air is dumped, I like the oval HD inflator hose, I like the super narrow and streamlined profile, I like the inner bladder material- better than the clear urethane type that was prone to pinch flats, I like the price/value, and I like the fact that Bryan actually has customer service.

The VDH is a fun little wing to dive with. This gives you an idea of its size.

Attachments

• EAEABAD1-D07B-4A57-8B88-2A1150FEAEA5.jpeg
    EAEABAD1-D07B-4A57-8B88-2A1150FEAEA5.jpeg
    96.8 KB · Views: 82
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom