What would you do differently ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is "past my prime" where one can't do technical diving?? How old is that?

I'm 63, I'm simply not going to make the commitment of time or money at this point to pursue technical or rebreather diving. Though diving is my first love, I have many other things to do while I'm healthy and vigorous. My peak was probably in my late 20s or early 30s, how about you? Though diving is my favorite, it's not everything

I am around a decade your junior :)

I started diving when I was around 10 years old way back. Diving is everything for me. I have no interest in anything else that doesn't have to do with diving.

I am around a decade your junior :)

I started diving when I was around 10 years old way back. Diving is everything for me.

Thanks Burhan,

I've been diving since I was 16, it's very important to me, but not everything

Good diving, Craig

In a perfect world, I would have been introduced to scuba diving in the 70's. I spent the entire decade of the 80's and much of the 90's traveling and living throughout the South Pacific (Fiji, Tonga, Western Samoa, American Samoa, Vanuatu, New Caledonia); SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, India, Sri Lanka); and Central America (Belize, Honduras, Costa Rica). Epic, world class diving locations and I never knew.

I would have liked to get more dives in, as would everyone, but I can't complain much since I've been diving a long time and thousands of dives.

Bob

Spent less money on cars in my 20s and started diving instead.

I would not have certified all my kids and bought them gear. I want that $$$ back to use towards my own diving. I would have let them wait until they were old and stable enough to decide that for themselves.

I would have paid way better attention to OW and AOW and taken them more seriously.

I would not have bought any masks that I don't like (I have a bin filled with those). I wouldn't have several bins of gear that I should sell or donate.

I would already know how to dive dry, rather than owning a dry suit for 4 years and never having dove it (for a variety of lame reasons).

I would have learned to deploy a SMB about 5 years earlier than I did. I would have gotten solo certified 4 years earlier than I did. (This was the best move of my "dive career" for a variety of reasons.)

I wouldn't be feeling ambivalent about my RB and RB training.

I would be physically stronger so I wouldn't struggle to manage my own gear. I would have (and will) be willing to fly longer distances to get to more exotic dive locations.

My first dive was in Lake Underhill, Orlando Florida in 1969 but didn't get certified until the turn of the century. I've yet to die or even be bent, so it's all good. Given where I'm 'at' right now and that anything could have upset that outcome, I'm happy with my life and my diving. Can't wait for Anthony's Key in a few months.
We are considering Anthony's Key for 2018, so please post a trip report!

We are considering Anthony's Key for 2018, so please post a trip report!
There will be dozens... just follow the Invasion antics. It will be epic... again. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom