what's a fair price for a N90s?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

As for the framers for the nik V, goto http://www.uwphoto.com and get the spot shot. Basicaly you clamp the spot shot to the extension tube and 2 diag lights you align with. Much much easier than w/ framers.

Under online store -> products -> accessories. Definately worth the $85

Ed

Thanks. That's actually really neat! But I see one problem (I think) depending on the lens that you use, you will still have to estimate the size of area covered by the closeup kit (I didn't explain that very well did I)..though the spotlight would admitedly make things much easier instead of trying to shoot a picture while doing some sort of acrobatics in fitting the camera into nooks and crannies.

Hello,

Actually no, the spot shot replaces the framer, you still use the extension tube. With the spot shot you simply align it so the beams touch and that's in focus.

The macro setup w/ the nikonos is with the 28/35mm lens and the extension tubes i.e. 1:1, 1:2 and 1:3.

Ed

Originally posted by DiverX
No doubt the F100 is a better camera, I have both! The housings for the F100 are a bit more expensive, strobes, arms, lenses are the same.

The question is how much do you want to spend. The N90s will be discontunued in 2002 but is still on the Nikon website so figure replacement parts will be around for probably 5-7yrs? (guess). My guess is in 5 to 7 yrs you'll want a new rig anyway. However if you have the extra money to spend get the F100, it is better!

I won't (for now) because I don't want to sell the N90 stuff a dn start over after only buying it in Oct 2000. I'll get a few yrs out of it first. I am actually getting used to shooting this camera now and starting over and spending more money just doesn't make sense for me. I take way more photos on land all year so I got the F100 for that. Anyway sillago Rooster is right the F100 is a better camera.
First, I don't mean to slam the N-90 as it's a great camera, It's just that if I was going to start from scratch, I'd opt for the F-100. I do know how you feel though, as after I housed my F-100, I got an F-5 (for land use only). At this time I wouldn't even think of getting a new housing for the F-5, since the F-100 works good. Especially since Aquatica is not a sure bet right now. I'd have to start from scratch, housing, ports, the whole works. Perhaps in a year or two, and, if Aquatica can make a comeback (fingers crossed). ;-}
Dive Safe,
Rooster

Hello,

Not meaning to bring up a heated debate but if I was me I would opt for the canon line, faster auto focus ya know :wink:

Ed

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

Actually no, the spot shot replaces the framer, you still use the extension tube. With the spot shot you simply align it so the beams touch and that's in focus.

The macro setup w/ the nikonos is with the 28/35mm lens and the extension tubes i.e. 1:1, 1:2 and 1:3.

Ed

This system works great as long as you target is accessible to both beams at the same time. This is not always the case. I have had problems when the target is in a hole or partially obscured by a rock or piece of coral. It is much better than framers, for the most part. Every system has it's limitations, even a housed SLR, you just have to make the best out of what you are using.

Originally posted by blacknet
Hello,

Not meaning to bring up a heated debate but if I was me I would opt for the canon line, faster auto focus ya know :wink:

Ed

Yah, but Nikon glass is better, and the few milliseconds you gain is not that big a deal UW, (not shooting race cars UW ya know). Plus there is a whole lot more support for Nikon for UW housings and strobes.

Okay..I've searched the web and taken a look at both cameras. Besides the price diff (approx $400), what is the big diff between them (alright...so I can't understand all the specficiation jargon..I admit it ..sob!..need one of those "camera equipment for dummies" books!)
The housing for f90(AF) vs f100(MD) is about US$150 besides that everything else looks the same for strobes, ports, sync etc. Only the price of the camera seems to be the major issue.
Comments anyone?

Rooster,

I take it you've never worked around dolphins or sharks :) You need all the advantages you can muster. Canon is the way to go in focus speed.

No system is perfect. The question of framers and fish came up and I presented a very workable solution for a limited budget. Besides you can guestimate the intersection in those cases and you can literaly get closer to the subjects in the cracks.

Ed

Rooster!

Hi!! I know you were not trying to slam the N90s! I agree with you 100%, the F100 is better (and the F5 better still!). Just no sense for me to get a new housing for the F100. If I were to start again with the money in the bank I'd getthe F100 & housing but I am very happy withthe N90s. In fact my guess is you may be able to get some nice deals in the coming year on the setup, used or new as some folks upgrade. I'm happy with my photos and in time I'll upgrade maybe to a digital SLR but for now I dare not bring it up or Louise may hear me! :)

ps...nice "seeing" you around!!!:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom