What's causing these bubbles in my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrtlebeachbums

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Okay folks, what am I doing to cause this?

PC150025.JPG

PC150026.JPG

(If these pics don't work right the pictures are here: Picasa Web Albums - Dave - 2007-12-15 In... and Picasa Web Albums - Dave - 2007-12-15 In...)

I'm a recently certified open water diver, and until I get my equipment in the spring I've just been jumping in the tank at the LDS every weekend to work on my skills. One recurring problem I've been having is these bubbles coming up in my mask.

I'm trying to breath completely through my mouth, so I wouldn't think this was me exhaling through my nose.

I don't know if this is too much defogging stuff in my mask, or what. I do know that my eyes seem to bother me more when I use Spit instead of Sea Gold. When I had this problem today it was with Spit.

Any idea what's causing this and naturally how I can get it to stop?

yup. Looks like to much de-fog/soap remaining on the mask lens, even if your using spit for the last dive, there still might be a bit of the old stuff in there. Second problem, is you seem to have a small leak right where your cheek and nose meet, which allows water/air to perk up/out into the mask, hence the bubbles. Try doing a REALLY good job rinsing, and find a mask that'll fit you better. That's alot harder then it sounds BTW. just keep looking until you find one that'll stick to your face like it was permanent, and your problems will be behind you.

Does this happen with other masks, or just your own? Is it a new mask or a rental? If new, did you scrub the insides thoroughly?

give it a good cleaning amd try to limit the amount of anti-fog used (though i've never really seen saliva bubble like that in a mask...)

(Maybe you should try someone elses's spit... Just in case :D )

Watch your anti fog levels, but also the water in your mask and the fog indicate you may be breathing through your nose a bit. It's a common problem for beginners. Try making a "k" sound and feeling the passage to your nose close. Learn to breath out while making the same tongue position. It may help you.

How old is the mask, how well did you clean the silicone layer off of the lense and what did you use to clean it? If it's new it could be you never got the silicone layer off well enough. Regular...not gel...toothpaste works well but you need to apply and rinse at least 4 to 5 times to completely get the silicone layer off. Go back and clean with the toothpaste, and again, apply and rinse 4-5 times and see if this takes care of your problem....

It's the mask I bought when I signed up for my open water classes in September, and honestly it's the only one I've ever used. I put just a little dab of Spit in there - more or less the same amount my instructor showed me.

More and more it sounds like I just didn't prep the inside enough. I used Sea Buff that I purchased when I purchased my mask, and I only applied one layer 'n scrubbed. Sounds like I've got more work to do to prep it further.

Would you suggest I go the toothpaste route or continue with the Sea Buff?

dschonbrun - thanks for the tips on my breathing. I'll work on that.

You'll ever NEVER have this problem with your own spit.........why doesn't everyone use it, I'll never understand.........In over a 1000 dives, that's the one & only thing I've used...try it, you'll like it............GEAUX TIGERS...............

You'll ever NEVER have this problem with your own spit.........why doesn't everyone use it, I'll never understand.........In over a 1000 dives, that's the one & only thing I've used...try it, you'll like it............GEAUX TIGERS...............

Considering how many hours in the pool I've logged since I got certified, I might as well give it a shot next time I'm there. What's the worst that can happen - I have to come up and put some Spit or Sea Gold in my mask?

Back
Top Bottom