What's causing these bubbles in my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

myrtlebeachbums:
Would you suggest I go the toothpaste route or continue with the Sea Buff?

Yeah...Try the toothpaste...just basic regular toothpaste...not gel...If that's your problem then after 4 rounds you will think it is a new mask...

I'm going to ask a question. It may seem obvious to the OP and to everyone else, but the OP has said nothing on the topic, and I am not about to assume that he is doing everything right. I've assumed things of students in the past, and then had to try not to laugh as the wetsuit got put on backwards, or upside down, or watched someone try to get under with a 7mm suit and a weight belt lying by the side of the pool. So . . .
Do you rinse your mask with water after putting defog or spit in it?
If your answer is no, then I would think that is your problem.

I find that folks waste a ton of anti fog stuff, and spit too. Why put oodles of the stuff on your mask, if you only need half a drop?

I smear about a drop of the stuff on the mask, let it hang to dry. Just before I dive, I put about 5 drops of water on the mask, and rub the water on the lense, and dump the residual away.

Folks squirt a big glob of goo on the mask, and fill it up with water, then dump it out. Their mask either fog up from too little stuff, or like you, bubbles from too much detergent.... Just use a little, whether spit or goo, and then you just have the right concentration on where it counts, the glass....

Is it a new mask??

The shop I used to work at used dish detergent to dissolve the manufacturers protective coating on the glass. Shop owner used it instead of toothpaste because it is gentler on the glass. Anyhow, we would fill up the mask with a small puddle of dish soap and let it sit for three days before rinsing them THOROUGHLY. If not thoroughly enough, then we would have a problem that looks JUST like your photos.

If you suspect this might be your problem, find a soft toothbrush and pull the silicon skirt gently away from the inside of the glass and brush out any excess soap left between the glass and silicon.

May sound crazy, but a lot of shops around here anyhow use dishsoap on all new masks before we sell them.

I know the LDS's won't like me, but, save your money on the commercial defog. All I use is, baby shampoo!!! It works as well if not better than both the products that you named. Also, it should not irritate your eyes, hence "no more tears" I find the geeric stuff works just as well as j&j's and it cost less. You'll find you can buy a very large bottle for the price of a couple ounces of the defog specific for scuba. I put a dot or two in each lens, spread it around thoroughly, let it dry, then just before I dive, i rinse it out. If your spending a weekend somewhere, with a few friends, you can set up a bucket with a solution of shampoo and water and rinse your masks in the bucket. Works well, but uses a little more than you would defogging individually. Try this, I'm sure it will help the eye irratation:wink:. Hopr this helps.
Joe

Only time Sea Gold or Spit have bothered my eyes is when I used too much/didn't rinse it well enough.

I use Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo...don't know if any of the rest of you have tried this, but it's the best defog out there, IMO.

Using the baby shampoo is a great tip. I'll try it next time. When I preped my new mask, I used the old style toothpaste and one of those cheapo electric toothbrushes to scrub it with. Did it only one time but haven't had any problems.

Another vote for the J & J No More Tears. It also comes in travel size bottles for those warm water trips.

I lick my mask clean! It takes off any impurities and leaves enough spit to stop fogging. A quick rinse and I am on my way. I can even do this underwater if I have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom