What's causing these bubbles in my mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lick my mask clean! It takes off any impurities and leaves enough spit to stop fogging. A quick rinse and I am on my way. I can even do this underwater if I have a problem.

Now this calls for a pic to be posted! :wink:

Yet another vote for the baby shampoo. I don't know why, but it's the only thing that works for me.

Using the baby shampoo is a great tip. I'll try it next time. When I preped my new mask, I used the old style toothpaste and one of those cheapo electric toothbrushes to scrub it with. Did it only one time but haven't had any problems.

Why are you using a brush? Just use your finger and some standard paste toothpaste, put it on, scrub it around, let it setup and then after awhile scrub it again. This should work and will last. After that just use the baby shampoo.
Good luck,
Joe

You'll ever NEVER have this problem with your own spit.........why doesn't everyone use it, I'll never understand.........

I do the spit method too, but as far as why everyone doesn't do it-- I've heard from a few different people that spitting in your mask can cause eye infections.
Don't know if theres any truth to it though.. lol..

Spit never lasts for me on any dive over 45 minutes (have to keep flooding and clearing on purpose)... Sea Gold was hit and miss... Absolutely Clear had the best results (waxy pink crap in a little tub).

However, after going through a litany of masks (due to a stache that I refuse to shave), I found the mask itself had more to do with it, than the anti-fog. The better fitting masks had less of a fogging issue... period.

Finally found the SeaVision Ultra (have it with and without purge -- but, we won't go there). Fits like a glove. Doesn't leak. Doesn't fog, regardless of what I use (shampoo, Sea Gold, spit, snot, slug slime, virgin's blood, etc.).

However, after going through a litany of masks (due to a stache that I refuse to shave), I found the mask itself had more to do with it, than the anti-fog. The better fitting masks had less of a fogging issue... period.

I also have a stache that I won't get rid of, but, by trimming the small amount just below my nose(maybe an 1/8" or so) I find I don't have any problems. Just a thought. A purge valve is just another thing too go wrong.IMO
Joe

Back
Top Bottom