What's some good freediving fins without breaking the bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigVin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm wanting to get more into freediving. Any suggestions on some good fins for it that won't kill me?

Vin

Do you mean price or Leg Muscles?

Price wise most free diving fins tend to run high over $100 to even $300... I do know of a Cressi model that I do believe is under $100 its the Cressi Pro Star Freediving Fins I believe. If you are interested in free diving recreational or professional really does depend on what you go for as well. The other option is looking to find a 2nd hand pair or something...

Leg wise they all tend to be some what similar, some range in hardness of materials which can range on your thrust per fins.... I would suggest if you can try them on, get a good feel for them and then make an educated choice... Let me know if you have a specific brand and maybe me or someone else can give you some ideas of how they work...

hope this helps :)

I need more information from you:

--Are you diving in warm water or cold (less than 65 degrees F)?
--What is your experience level in the water? (Competitive swimmer, recreational swimmer, have not been in the water much.)
--Shore diving or diving from a boat?

SeaRat

well I'm going to take over from bigfin...
I have been snorkeling/freediving (only to 7 M) in UK north sea over past few weeks (did it abroad previously), use boots and socks so i need a freediving fin perhaps open foot that can be worn with boot and without (I suspect really i need two pairs of fins). I am currently using scuba pro split fins.
but anyway,, what's a good begginers freedive fin for UK diving? and also a one for warmer places like egypt?
I wear a 7mm semi dry in UK, with quite a bit of weight (not even sure exactly how much). I'm also looking into apnea suits as i hear they are much warmer, mite even be ok with a 5mm in UK summer.
What's the deal with ankle weights? when are they used and what for?

Sorry BigVin, I know this is a month late; price-wise I'd look at the Picasso America Stimulus bifins, at $105 it's a deal.

Spending about $50 more really does get you a big performance increase; the Omer Millennium, or, Picasso Black Team, would be good choices. The Picasso foot pockets tend to favor wider feet, and the Omer narrower feet.

Lims, if you're looking at freediving, stick with closed heel. Open-heel loses too much energy by not having the blade extend up under the foot as far.

You'll need soft, thin freediving booties to fit inside closed heel bifins. I personally dive with 3 mil socks and a 5 mil Yazbeck apnea suit in 59 degree F (15 degree C) water and become slightly chilled after 2 hours, and am very warm with the same suit in 62 degree F (17 degree C) water.

Hope this helps.

All the best, James

PS - ankle weights are typically used by some dry suit wearers. Apnea divers actually use neck weights occasionally, and I haven't seen anyone use ankle weights.

Last edited:
Lims, if you're looking at freediving, stick with closed heel. Open-heel loses too much energy by not having the blade extend up under the foot as far.

Good point....I have a very wide foot and an extreme arch which makes a full foot fin an impossibility. What I have done is taken a neoprene sleeve (lower leg piece from an old wetsuit) and place it over my foot and ankle and over my open heel fins and it maintains a great transfer of energy. The sleeve conforms quite nicely. I also use fin keepers to maintain the point of blade contact.

I second fdog, stay closed heel if you can, and add Cressi-sub Gara 2000 or 3000 models. 2000 are a tad stiffer than 3000... both are usually around 150 +- a few bucks.

Freediver, guys with huge feet have been going with the strap open heel freedive fins for years and wearing the best neoprene sock they can get to still fit. Because they go farther into the foot pocket than boots do, the power is usually closer to full foot style. Riffe and Immersion/Esclapez were the last open heel models I've seen.

Chad

I second fdog, stay closed heel if you can, and add Cressi-sub Gara 2000 or 3000 models. 2000 are a tad stiffer than 3000... both are usually around 150 +- a few bucks.

Freediver, guys with huge feet have been going with the strap open heel freedive fins for years and wearing the best neoprene sock they can get to still fit. Because they go farther into the foot pocket than boots do, the power is usually closer to full foot style. Riffe and Immersion/Esclapez were the last open heel models I've seen.

Chad

$114 from LP for the Gara 2000HF

Cressi-Sub Gara 2000 HF Full Foot Fins, Black

I prefer a full foot pocket freedive fin with interchangeable blades.

I use the new softer footpocket by Picasso about $100 and wear 4mm socks. Mares Razor Pro is also a good option. I also have Waterways straight fiberglass blades.

FreeDiveShop.com

Diving Fins. Scubastore.com, buy, offers, scuba

Look at both fins and parts for ideas.

Picasso, Waterways, Mares footpockets fit wider feet 11.5EEE. Best to use a sock with fins.

Waterways Nemo footpocket does not accommodate my high arch. The heel and toe areas are fine. I jammed a plastic bottle and poured hot water on the foot pocket until it fit the top of my foot.

Hey guys what is the fin called that the big professionals use its like a mermaid fin where its one fin and both of your feet go inside of it because those are really cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom