What's the benefit of a Solo cert card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ha... a LOT more pony than I need... and a little difficult when I'm on the bottom filming! I prefer a pony mounted to my tank so it doesn't stir up any sediment.

Al 80 pony bottles are available most everywhere. :wink:

My reference to getting a pony VIP'ed upon arrival after air travel was regarding my understanding that one needs to remove the valve to travel with one in a commercial aircraft, and that by doing so the tank requires a subsequent VIP. If that understanding is wrong, I'd be interested in being corrected.

Ha... a LOT more pony than I need... and a little difficult when I'm on the bottom filming! I prefer a pony mounted to my tank so it doesn't stir up any sediment.

Then you're not diving deep/long enough! :wink:

Seriously though, I have found travel bands are a great way to rig independent backmounted doubles. Tons of gas and complete redundancy. May be more than needed, but can be set up anywhere in the world.

My reference to getting a pony VIP'ed upon arrival after air travel was regarding my understanding that one needs to remove the valve to travel with one in a commercial aircraft, and that by doing so the tank requires a subsequent VIP. If that understanding is wrong, I'd be interested in being corrected.

Never had it happen. In fact I have never had the pony VIP'd and have never had an issue getting it filled on a trip. Do have a look inside when I remove the valve. I also put the pony with the valve off into a large clear plastic bag for travel. Keeps stuff out of it.

Hey Drbill,

You wrote: "My reference to getting a pony VIP'ed upon arrival after air travel was regarding my understanding that one needs to remove the valve to travel with one in a commercial aircraft, and that by doing so the tank requires a subsequent VIP. If that understanding is wrong, I'd be interested in being corrected."

I did not know that. I always screw the valve on before I go to the shop. They did not ask and I did not tell! I hope the SCUBA police don't send out an APB on me.

markm

Some shops can be very picky or fussy about filling tanks with no pressure however I find most places where one would need to travel with a pony are a bit more lenient on this rule. As far as I know, there is no hard and fast rule; it's entirely self imposed by dive shops. If a tank has a valid visual inspection sticker then it can be filled. I've found this to be the case with a lot of places.

The issue comes from shops not knowing if moisture has entered the tank with 0psi. Just because it has 0psi doesn't require it to be re-inspected but some shops will be more comfortable pulling the valve off and doing a quick spot check to make sure it looks clean inside.

Read the book a couple of weeks ago. Doing the course work this winter. Lots of redundancy with my AN/ADP/Nomoxic Tri course.

Hey Randy g,

I am having trouble with some of the achronyms used in your post. Which Trimix course are taking? I am very interested.

markm

---------- Post added December 6th, 2012 at 07:42 AM ----------

Some shops can be very picky or fussy about filling tanks with no pressure however I find most places where one would need to travel with a pony are a bit more lenient on this rule. As far as I know, there is no hard and fast rule; it's entirely self imposed by dive shops. If a tank has a valid visual inspection sticker then it can be filled. I've found this to be the case with a lot of places.

The issue comes from shops not knowing if moisture has entered the tank with 0psi. Just because it has 0psi doesn't require it to be re-inspected but some shops will be more comfortable pulling the valve off and doing a quick spot check to make sure it looks clean inside.

Hey macado,

I agree, what is so hard about popping the valve off and checking for water before filling it (spot check). The dive shops that have filled my tank after travelling have never flinched--they hooked it up and filled the damn thing.

markm

Back
Top Bottom