What's the most efficient kicking style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

- stiff paddles = frog kicks w/ glide periods or long-slow sweeping flutter kicks w/ glide periods
*When flutter kicking you want to fluidly lock your knees and kick with your hips*

I'm using the frog kick about 90% of the time, but when I do switch to a flutter, either for a little burst of speed or just a change of pace, my knees are still bent with lower legs up for the most part.

what is the dolphin kick?

is that like a flutter kick with both legs going up and down at the same time, much like the kick used for the butterfly stroke in swimming?

I have never tried that, but it doesn't sound all that efficient to me (perhaps I am misunderstanding).

I use the dolphin kick when using long bladed fins sometimes as a change of pace. Think of diving a monofin (yes both legs up and down at the same time. I do not use this for "sprint" but a slow relaxed and more flexible (more body involvement in the process) kicking style. It moves me along easily without increasing air consumption. Think of a slow moving dolphin - same idea ... kind of a zen thing for me.

Last edited:
You also get good at what you practise most. I almost always use a frog kick and recently noticed I can't go any faster with any other technique. Use to do, but no longer.
Admittedly I don't use a variety of fin types, just ScubaPro JetFins.

Well, my favorite kick is the frog kick, but going to give the dolphin kick a try next time I'm in the water.

It just seems to me that it would be more of a whole body motion, while with a frog kick it is mostly just my ankles and feet that move. But I'll keep an open mind :)

thanks.

I have to say some of the responses to this thread are some of the funnier ones I've seen in awhile...so thank you!

My husband uses the frog, dolphin and flutter kicks depending on the situation. I almost always use a flutter kick as I SUCK at the frog kick.

Just wanted to say that I finally figured out the frog kick today...and I like it (for certain conditions/situations).

Good question.

You can find out for yourself. Lay out an underwater course 100 yards long at a constant depth. Record your starting gas and time, and swim some laps at a constant speed with a given kick (frog or flutter, etc.). Record your ending gas and time.

Give yourself some time to rest and repeat with a different kick. Also try some different speeds.

You can calculate your average speed over the course (distance/time) and your gas usage. Plot the various kicks on a graph of speed versus SAC rate, with a different line for each kick.

You will notice that your gas consumption rises exponentially with increasing speed, regardless of the type of kick. The most efficient kick (in terms of the greatest distance traveled for the least amount of gas consumed) is a nice, easy, slow kick.

Your graph will also tell you which kick is most efficient relative to other kicks.

My personal investigation revealed that a slow flutter kick was most efficient.

I personally prefer the modified frog, though, and that's what I use most of the time.

Greetings 00wabbit I choose to frog kick or a variant of it 99 percent of the time.
Mastery of fin technique is the best advice I would offer for the conditions you are diving.
In tough current strong kick styles, good technique, and smart choices will serve you well.
I know I will get rocked for this one but I have been employing the "pull and glide" borrowed from cave diving into my wreck diving where it will work.
I have done shallower wreck dives on a very little gas and bear in mind this is the Great Lakes so little current.

I am not advocating grabbing the reef or sensitive areas of the wreck but being gentle gliding through silty areas.
One wreck has timbers lying all about and it is easy to gently grip one and pull to the next as you navigate inside the hull.
You do not have to move your legs or body only to contort a few turns which saves gas and vis.
Just be a thinking diver who has mastered skills and techniques, a full tool box so to speak!

Good luck and train well to have the full tool box.

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

IMHO
kick, is a matter of personal preference and it changes with requirement and environment, what really worked for me was changing my fins, with similar kicking effort and style i had little more bang for the buck with Beuchat Powerjet, so then i realised, a carefully designed and constructed fin that suits your strength and style can make a difference. here is my powerjet in action! with higher effort-thrust ratio

128362d1341063018-divejones-india-gusty-under-water.jpg

Back
Top Bottom