What's the most efficient kicking style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are in splt fins, the standard flutter kick delivers well. For blade fins, I love the dolphin kick as s variant. Get your weighting/trim right first. This has a major impact on air consumption.

I was in the middle of filming along side a wreck this past weekend, when another diver dropped in, and proceeded to frog kick his way along the side of the wreck in front of me. Every stroke blew silt out of the zebra mussle encrusted hull to his side. Man oh man, if this wasn't the place for a flutter kick instead.......

Application, application, application.... (as well as technique), and S---L---O---W

I agree for current using split fins and a flutter kick. Frog kicking in split fins is inefficient. However a good pair of blade fins can give you precise movement with little effort and works well for frog kicks and helicopters. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking to try and reduce air consumption as much as I can while I am learning. What's the most efficient kicking style. Power vs. Effort?
One less thing to raise the heart rate.

This may sound strange but 'whilst you are learning' I wouldn't worry about what kick you are doing...
Just relax, & keep everything slow = you are not in a race.

I was in the middle of filming along side a wreck this past weekend, when another diver dropped in, and proceeded to frog kick his way along the side of the wreck in front of me. Every stroke blew silt out of the zebra mussle encrusted hull to his side. Man oh man, if this wasn't the place for a flutter kick instead.......

One of the great things about cave training -- even divers who think about silt on the bottom, often don't think about silt on walls!

Depends on several things IMO
- physical limitations
- fin limitations
- environmental limitations

Assuming pool conditions with no confined walls the best way to get the most thrust without tiring you out:
- split fins = slight to exagerated bend in your knees | mid to quick-short flutter kicks; no glide periods

- force fins = have a bit of bend in your knees | quick short flutter kick; no glide periods

- stiff paddles = frog kicks w/ glide periods or long-slow sweeping flutter kicks w/ glide periods
*When flutter kicking you want to fluidly lock your knees and kick with your hips*

- flexible paddles = slight to no bend in knees | mid-paced flutter kicks with short glide periods

I have found that the style of kick isn't as important as the rhythm, If you maintain a good rhythm then you will use less energy. A good example for me is when I use modified flutter kick I actually move a decent pace but because of my rhythm it actually feels effortless and lowers my breathing.

Looks like g1138 has done a study, and I generally agree with his comments as far as fins with which I am familiar. I think darushin makes a good point too- if you are "travelling," going from point A to point B, and want to get there efficiently, constant rythm and pace is more efficient that jerky or irregular motions and speeds. I would also add that the most efficient kick is the one that gets you where you are going with the least movement- casual motion to move a few feet to see something of interest is different that a bee line back to an ascent line. But in all events, slow or moderate motion that does not increase respiration rate is key.
DivemasterDennis

frog kick works for me most of the time - unless there is crazy current then nothing is going to help you much

I have to say some of the responses to this thread are some of the funnier ones I've seen in awhile...so thank you!

My husband uses the frog, dolphin and flutter kicks depending on the situation. I almost always use a flutter kick as I SUCK at the frog kick.

Back
Top Bottom