what's up with this dir stuff.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markfm:
I likewise enjoyed "For the same reason, neoprene drysuits are unacceptable." I guess all those DUI owners, and the Navy types using Bare MIL units, don't know jack :)
In all fairness, he was not talking about compressed neoprene suits. The flordia cave guys have a thing for DUI350's, but I know I don't get my knickers in a knot if I dive a CF200.

markfm:
I love the bit "inefficiency due to extra mass and drag" discussing weights.
To the physics-impaired -- if you need mass, you need mass, be it via double steel tanks, a V weight, or a small block of Fermium (why mess with steel or lead when you can go to real heavy metal :) )

I likewise enjoyed "For the same reason, neoprene drysuits are unacceptable." I guess all those DUI owners, and the Navy types using Bare MIL units, don't know jack :)

Yes, there are some mistakes in there, but the point of that section was "dive a balanced rig." Neoprene drysuits are suboptimal because they require additional weight (compared to a shell suit), thus more effort is required for swimming, and they make it difficult for a rig to be balanced since they compress at depth. My understanding was the military drysuits were either TLS350s or CF200s....CF200 is in the "shell suit" category because it has very little change in buoyancy. By "neoprene" they mean those thick uncompressed 7mm neoprene suits.

If you have questions about a system, go ahead and ask. If you just want to tear it down based on your misunderstandings, please don't waste our time.

Keep in mind equipment is only a *very* small portion of the system. It is the team diving, procedures, and skillset that is the most important part.

Nothing against folks who choose to follow any particular diving approach, I really did wonder if it was a joke page. Face it, any site that talks about "distil the wisdom" (typo was in the original) is more than a bit pompous.

I don't know, I think you two are skirting along the Personal Preference edge there. :wink:

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/text/HOGARTH3.TXT:
For the same reason, neoprene drysuits are unacceptable. Weights must be
carried to counteract the neoprene's inherent buoyancy near the surface. At
depth the neoprene compresses (even pre-compressed or crushed neoprene holds
compressible gas bubbles
) and loses buoyancy, so the wings must be inflated to
compensate for the weights.

do it easy:
I don't know, I think you two are skirting along the Personal Preference edge there. :wink:

Maybe. That's a pretty old article. While the TLS350 is the suit of choice (and is required for WKPP diving), for ocean diving, you'll see a lot more variety. What's important is that you are streamlined, have a balanced rig, and that the suit fits well.

markfm:
Nothing against folks who choose to follow any particular diving approach, I really did wonder if it was a joke page. Face it, any site that talks about "distil the wisdom" (typo was in the original) is more than a bit pompous.

I agree, it does come across as pompous, but it's an old article, long before GUE was around. Heck, it says a 3km penetration is the WKPP's claim to fame...they've been at 3.5 MILES for years and now recently pushed close to 4 miles.

But just because it is pompous, doesn't invalidate it. Try to discuss the facts, not the personality.

Soggy:
Maybe. That's a pretty old article. While the TLS350 is the suit of choice (and is required for WKPP diving), for ocean diving, you'll see a lot more variety. What's important is that you are streamlined, have a balanced rig, and that the suit fits well.
The 350 is just to wimpy. (I just ordered a custom 350 as my backup suit).

I know that I don't match the mother ship for gear config and procedures, but you don't see me posting about the evil DIR people that call me a stroke.

Quick, INNOCENT, NON-JUDGEMENTAL question from someone who doesn't know much about DIR... :huh:

Well 2 Questions:

1) Is GUE the same thing as DIR??

2) If you don't use neoprene, what do you use? Drysuits only?

Thank you in advance for not shooting my head off for asking this question.

Soggy:
I agree....they are wicked easy to tear. You're unlikely to see me in a TLS350 any time soon. I'd probably go for a CLX450 if I were a DUI guy.
[offtopic]
If I was only going to get one suit, it would be the 450. The 350 makes a great backup suit and travel suit because its so light. Add that in with my stroke weezles and my travel suitcase is a lot lighter. :wink:
[/offtopic]

Back
Top Bottom