what's up with this dir stuff.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soggy:
Many a "certified since dirt" scuba instructor has taken and failed DIRF miserably.
I saw two do exactly that. Made me feel a whole lot better when I flunked out the first time. :wink:

Missed my point? No kidding.

And I agree that NACD needs improvement, but the organization's mandate covers more than that of cave diving instruction. And Soggy, tell me which of these instructors would "fail" Fundies: http://www.safecavediving.com/instructors.asp. The second name, Lloyd Bailey, Jr. I-43, was JJ's cave instructor - you didn't think that JJ learned to cave dive on his own?

Make no mistake, I'm proud of that which cave diving has brought to the dive experience over-all - but messengers are important, people listen.

daniel f aleman:
Missed my point? No kidding.

Yeah, what was it?

And Soggy, tell me which of these instructors would "fail" Fundies: http://www.safecavediving.com/instructors.asp.

I couldn't tell you. Maybe some, maybe none. I only have met a few of them and only dived with a couple. My cave diving experience is very limited. I wasn't dissing any instructors specifically, especially not cave diving instructors who generally have a higher skill set than most "technical" instructors I see up in the north east.

The second name, Lloyd Bailey, Jr. I-43, was JJ's cave instructor - you didn't think that JJ learned to cave dive on his own?

Why would I care who trained JJ? It may or may not be the case, but students do often exceed their instructors in ability. I haven't dived with JJ OR Lloyd Bailey, so your comment is meaningless.

You are stuck on history. History in diving, for the most part, means nothing except for the training and accidents that we can learn from. That so and so trained with so and so means jack-squat. This isn't Star Wars, it's diving. Knowledge of the history of GUE and DIR doesn't have any effect the dives I do today. If you have a problem with GUE or DIR, argue away, but stay within the context of the philosophy and get over this hard-on you seem to have over JJs background.

Wow Soggy! I'm just going to let your last post be... OK. You just DIR yourself silly. And if you ever make that dive to 300', you post a dive report for us.

I'm off this thread...

Yeah Soggy, show me which one of these guys showed JJ and George how do to 18 grand at 300ft :wink:, you east-coast $troke :)

GUE is full of weenie, skills-practicing in 20ft, redneck gap-toothed quarry divers........<ducks and runs :)>

Uhmmm, I too have seen many a seasoned 'veteran' fail a simple DIR-f.

There certainly are other ways to dive, but I fail to see why one would :D

regards,

Steve

daniel f aleman:
Wow Soggy! I'm just going to let your last post be... OK. You just DIR yourself silly. And if you ever make that dive to 300', you post a dive report for us.

I'm off this thread...

Once again, I have missed whatever point that you are trying to make. I'm not sure why you even got involved in this thread, since it's in the New England Lobster Divers forum and you're in Cancun.

You won't see me at 300' unless it's in a submersible. My personal risk level is lower than my desire to see wrecks at those depths.

o yeah
well....
i can pee further than all of you

Diesel298:
o yeah
well....
i can pee further than all of you
Thats quite an accomplishment give your short comings.

JeffG:
Thats quite an accomplishment give your short comings.
hey now...
who talked

Diesel298:
hey now...
who talked
I don't know her name, but her mouth ...... OK, I was just about to break TOS :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom