What's with sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sidemount isnt what is dangerous, it is lack of experience that makes it dangerous. For those "narrow doorways," I've fit in to some narrow wreck opening by going on my side. I almost always prefer diving sidemount when I dont have my rebreather.

I top mount deco bottles, but i dive open water technical, not overhead yet. The MOD is marked near the neck of the tank which is very easy for me to see and verify on switch, also marked in its classic position for my teammate to verify on switch.

If i were dropping bottles i wouldn't top mount them

It's pretty common to stage on top, deco on the bottom.

I've tried deco on top - it's a more streamlined option if you don't intend to remove the deco during the dive. I use sturdy elastic for the bottom clip (rather than cord) and this allows me to pull the deco tanks forwards to confirm mix/mod when gas switching. I also use markers on the second stage (ANDI gas labels) as a matter of course. However, most of my dives are into wrecks or involve some level of physical labor on the bottom, so I normally cache deco (and bottom sling).

For must boat dives I'm guessing you've got one deco gas. What I usually do with that is clip it to a crotch ring at the gate and drop it near the line, and then put it together in a more organized way when I pick it up at the end of the dive. It's not confusing with one deco gas, it's the only reg not bungeed to my shoulder strap or in my mouth.

I top mount deco bottles, but i dive open water technical, not overhead yet. The MOD is marked near the neck of the tank which is very easy for me to see and verify on switch, also marked in its classic position for my teammate to verify on switch.

If i were dropping bottles i wouldn't top mount them

I guess I'm just not that flexible. I can't do a proper verification of bottle if it stays clipped on top.

Rob, If you used your stage system, does that prevent you pulling the tanks forwards sufficiently to confirm markings on the cylinder shoulder? I've managed it (using bungees, not cord for the lower attachment), but I'm not diving quite so encumbered with drysuits etc.

Andy, no the stage cylinders are quite flexible with my stage mounting system. I'm just not quite that flexible! You may have hit on something here. 99% of my dives are in a dry suit. That could be part of the flexibility issue. Although, I'm pretty sure my 40+ year old body is a much larger part of the issue!

Although, I'm pretty sure my 40+ year old body is a much larger part of the issue!

I think we're on a par there. Just nursing a slipped disk at the moment. 40's... paying for an exuberant and physically active youth. LOL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom