What's with sidemount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but the point is that, for many reasons, we don't allow doubles.
There you have it. Doubles are doubles, whether they are dropped on the sides or mounted on your back. You haven't seen any for no other reason than you simply don't allow it. No biggie and when I'm on your boat, I dive a BAS (Big Assed Single) and I'm happy about it. Of course, I don't have to fly to get to you so I can pick any tank I want. I loved my dives off of your boat and hope to do more in the future. My sidemounts will be happy resting at home in the Dive Locker. :D

I did some diving off Frank's boat in sidemount a couple years ago or so. Had no issues and no hassles. Frank was fine with it. If I were to go on a recreational trip on The Spree I would monkey dive (single tank sidemount). I've done that in Aruba and Jamaica. I don't see a point in taking 2 tanks with me for a single tank dive, here or anywhere else. I see Frank's point. If it's a rec trip then everyone should be diving rec. It helps prevent issues.

Great response Bob, I'm with you 100%. Now I'm waiting to see if anyone gets worked up over and then begins promoting or down grading the toilette paper being routed over the top or under. What are the orthopedic benefits of each, is over the top a fad and do I need a c-card to route my toilette paper over the top? Really folks!? Capt Wasson, how is the toilette paper mounted in the dispensers on your boat?

Toilet paper orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I prefer to route it over the top, but YMMV.

But haven't you heard about it? Top or down orientation is now a discussion of the past. Sidemounted toilet paper is the future. You can even get certified in using it. Hell, you can even be trained to be a SMTP Instructor!

Great response Bob, I'm with you 100%. Now I'm waiting to see if anyone gets worked up over and then begins promoting or down grading the toilette paper being routed over the top or under. What are the orthopedic benefits of each, is over the top a fad and do I need a c-card to route my toilette paper over the top? Really folks!? Capt Wasson, how is the toilette paper mounted in the dispensers on your boat?

How in the world could I have missed this? To answer, it is critical that the toilet paper be mounted so that it rolls off to where the serrated edge is. You see, being a bunch of hard-asses, we use industrial strength 2 ply sandpaper like toilet tissue. No Charmin for us, so to get a clean rip the serrated edge of the toilet paper dispenser comes into play. In head number 3 and 4, it rolls off over the top from port to starboard, and in head number 2 it rolls off over the top from starboard to port. Head number 1 has different dispenser so there is a serrated edge on both sides, it doesn't matter how you roll it off.

Strange discussions here. I really don't see the point. I have been diving backmount and I am now diving sidemount. Why? Because I can! Sidemount for me now feels more comfortable. It's not really less work I just like playing around with stuff and get my configuration to work perfect for me. I dive with backmounted and sidemounted divers. Everybody can make his or her own choice. As for the toilet paper? I really don't care as long as I can keep my hands clean when using it.
And with all respect to everybody that doesn't need training. I prefer to be prepared and always want to learn from more experienced divers. If you wanna go cheap, sell your scube gear and take on playing Chess as a hobby.

you can do one on the back and then two on your sides or else the guys around here attach a small deco bottle to each sidemount tank. So they go in with 3 80s and then two i guess 40 somethings? I've just started my side/tec so I dont know much about it yet

seems crazy to sling your bottom mix and back mount your deco gas. How do you see what you are about to switch to ? Are the MOD markings on the 2nd stage ? Seems confusing ... Am i missing something ?

That isn't how I was taught to do it. I was taught stage 1&2 go over the top the main tanks (side mounted) and Deco bottles 1&2 go under. Additional stages you can tow off your but plate d-ring as long as you are not going to travel through restrictions. However, I have never seen more then two stages used at once in side mount in real life.

Daru

It's pretty common to stage on top, deco on the bottom.

I've tried deco on top - it's a more streamlined option if you don't intend to remove the deco during the dive. I use sturdy elastic for the bottom clip (rather than cord) and this allows me to pull the deco tanks forwards to confirm mix/mod when gas switching. I also use markers on the second stage (ANDI gas labels) as a matter of course. However, most of my dives are into wrecks or involve some level of physical labor on the bottom, so I normally cache deco (and bottom sling).

I top mount deco bottles, but i dive open water technical, not overhead yet. The MOD is marked near the neck of the tank which is very easy for me to see and verify on switch, also marked in its classic position for my teammate to verify on switch.

If i were dropping bottles i wouldn't top mount them

Back
Top Bottom