What's wrong with Split Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YellowfinKunkfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, it's time for my first newbie post, and probably a stupid question, BUT here goes! I was reading the orange shovel thread, and noticed a few people don't like split fins, why?? My OW class is in less than a month, and I've been planning on buying split fins. Mainly because I'm not that strong of a swimmer, and it sounds like they would help me out a lot. Is there some reason split fins would not be a good decision? I also saw several comments about spring straps? My husband has both split fins, and spring straps, and he loves them! All I know is on my discover scuba dive in the Bahamas I had horrible tiny fins, that were not split, and had a really hard time staying afloat. (of course it didn't help that my instructor kept letting air out of my bc, causing me to be stuck on the bottom) It seems like everytime I've decided on what equipment I want, I read something that makes me doubt that decision. I have yet to read anything bad about split fins, so please tell me why people don't like them, so I can make my decision! :shakehead

There's nothing wrong with split fins; they're like any other piece of equipment, some like it some don't.

I use Atomic splits and love them. My wife has Mares volo powers (hinged fin but not split) and likes them better. I'd suggest you ask your Lds to let you try a pair of splits in the pool...you may like them, you may not.

Basicly, they're great for flutter kicking, and poor for many other types of kicking like helicopter and frog kicking. The same things that make them great for efficient flutter kick propulsion also make them great for stirring up the bottom and "rototilling", which dramatically reduces visibility. There are those who swear by them, but many others who swear at them. Not all paddle (non-split) fins are created equal, but there are several that allow good performance with a variety of kicking styles, including those designed for precise movement control and avoiding stirring up silt.

For what it's worth, your fins should have nothing at all to do with keeping you afloat. If you have to kick to stay off the bottom, you're probably not weighted properly, and because you're directing your thrust at a downward angle to move forward, you're wasting energy are almost certainly ruining the visibility for anyone behind you. Good technique and experience will correct that. Split fins will not.

Fins don't stir up silt, people do....I can frog kick with my splits....some people can't...but to say a specific kind of fin causes silting is little closed minded...

plwtwo:
Fins don't stir up silt, people do....I can frog kick with my splits....some people can't...but to say a specific kind of fin causes silting is little closed minded...

How well can you do a backup kick? I've never used splits, but it seems like they'd be too floppy. I have trouble doing it even in "standard" fins like Quattros.

You're right, I should probably try all this stuff out in the pool, before making any decisions.

The ones you had in the Bahamas were probably full foot fins for snorkeling. I've been given them as rentals before. Now I tend to pack my booties to get a better rental fin (not enough room for my fins since it’s work travel). If that was what you were given, they don’t have the power you want. They were designed to push a snorkeler through the water not a diver with the extra drag.

You may find you are happy with splits, blades or jet fins. Splits often cost much more so you may want to try different options. Tusa has a new set that flip up against the shin to allow you to walk around on the boat easily. I haven’t tried them or read a review but it did sound interesting. Read a bit, try some things and take the one you are most comfortable with.

Blackwood:
How well can you do a backup kick?

Just fine with my ScubaPro Twin Jets.

Ive been using blades for 20 years. I tried a pair of splits the other day and diddnt care for them. It felt like I had to kick twice as many times for the same movement. The guy that let me borrow them told me it would feel like that. Maybe down on power too? The way I look at it is if you kick twice as many times you shouild go twice as fast? Lots of people swear by them. I also like red and my wife likes white wine, each to their own.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom