What's your choice for a dive travel bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradnerBoy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm researching travel bags - those that you can check-in at the airport and those that you can carry-on (i.e DiveCaddy).

While I like the idea of a compartmentalized roller bag that houses everything, I am concerned about the potential for theft after check-in. By the same token, packing everything into a DiveCaddy-like bag to carry onto a plane seems ripe for the airline to say "Nope. It's too big for carry-on. You have to check it".

So, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what others have used for traveling with their gear - all of it (less tanks and weights, of course)?

Makes/models, where you purchased it, good/bad experiences, any good deals to be had, etc.

Any personal experiences would greatly augment my research.

Thanks all.

I'm researching travel bags - those that you can check-in at the airport and those that you can carry-on (i.e DiveCaddy).

While I like the idea of a compartmentalized roller bag that houses everything, I am concerned about the potential for theft after check-in. By the same token, packing everything into a DiveCaddy-like bag to carry onto a plane seems ripe for the airline to say "Nope. It's too big for carry-on. You have to check it".

So, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what others have used for traveling with their gear - all of it (less tanks and weights, of course)?

Makes/models, where you purchased it, good/bad experiences, any good deals to be had, etc.

Any personal experiences would greatly augment my research.

Thanks all.
Check out my pinacle bag on Tuesday. I put everyhting in it except the expensive stuff like my computer and camera. You probably know but lights have to have batteries out for checked luggage

My preffered method is to put my gear in a regular suitcase. I can usually tuck a few other items in as well. I carry on my regs (because they are heavy and carry ons rarely get weighed) and my computer (so it doesn't get broken) in my backpack. I also pack a large but light (no wheels etc.) duffle/hockey bag in my suitcase. I use it to carry my gear at my destination.

This solution is cheap, and not any more theft prone than any other luggage. And the part I like best is I didn't have to buy any more diving specific gear.

Where are you going?

Leaving on Friday for a trip. Here is what I'm using.
Plain medium size suitcase, no dive markings. it's 13 pounds... contains: jet fins(kind of heavy),3mm full suit, booty's,12 c-cell batteries, plastic backplate/harness, wing, some wrenches, screwdriver, boltsnaps, one c-8 light(used as a dry box),shaving/shampoo kit, one towel, bicycle lock, solar shower, Weight comes in at 45 pounds out of 50 allowable.

Carry-on, found a black plastic case at school with foam lining ( it was used for headphones) comes in at exact size for carry-on. Contains: Ikelight housing, strobe, 8AA batteries,3 camera batteries,two chargers, 2 masks, snorkel, 1 c8eld, 1 c4, all my clothes. weight 25 pounds
Personal item a laptop type bag which has my regs,computer,dive log. 10 pounds 35 pounds total carry-on out of 40 pounds allowable.

My preffered method is to put my gear in a regular suitcase. I can usually tuck a few other items in as well. I carry on my regs (because they are heavy and carry ons rarely get weighed) and my computer (so it doesn't get broken) in my backpack. I also pack a large but light (no wheels etc.) duffle/hockey bag in my suitcase. I use it to carry my gear at my destination.

This solution is cheap, and not any more theft prone than any other luggage. And the part I like best is I didn't have to buy any more diving specific gear.

Where are you going?

Me, too.

I put most of my gear into a cheap (but light weight) hardsided suitcase on rollers that I got for cheap at Tuesday Morning. I carry my computer and prescription mask in my bookbag-like backpack carry on.

In addition, I throw an Akona mesh backpack into my suitcase. That's what I use to carry my gear to and from the boat at the final destination. Those rolling dive bags are usually a big no-no dive boats, due to their excess bulk.

Where are you going?
I'm heading to Florida in Oct and Maui in Dec, so it'll be warm water gear I'm lugging.

While I appreciate the simplicity and lack of extra cost of using existing luggage, for longer duration trips, i.e. 2 weeks or more, I'm not able to pack everything into a single suitcase. I'd need one for gear to check-in and another small roller for clothes that can come on the plane with me and my regs.

While I like the idea of a compartmentalized roller bag that houses everything, I am concerned about the potential for theft after check-in.

then why get a compartmentalized bag?

you have to have locks for every one of those stinking pockets. Then the luggage guys just throw other things on top of it and crush what ever is in the protruding exterior comparments/pockets?

.[/QUOTE]

I've always enjoyed the bags that had one big huge interior pocket and then maybe an exterior fin pocket. that way you need 1 to 2 of the TSA locks. you cal also put whatever you need in it.

Don't get a bag that is a "travel system" of over done pockets/compartments. Remember that most airlines limit you now to only 50 pounds.

I looked at one bag once that the empty bag was about 15 pounds. that's about 1/3rd the weight allowance and really cuts down on gear you can carry from a weight perspective if you don't want to pay overweight baggage fees.

I've got a GatorPac wheeled duffel. super tough. has thousands of airlines miles on it. rollers, hard bottom and handle that slides in/out. works GREAT. also has "compression straps" on it to tighten it down.

sadly, it's hard to find anyone that sells these anymore.

Other suggestions

* Don't buy anything with big dive logos on it. It just says "dive gear inside, STEAL ME"
* carry regulator, dive computer, cameras, etc anything that can be very profitable to sell/pawn in your carry on luggage
* Put tie wraps through your zipper closures. that way you know if someone has mucked with your bag.
* reduce the number of external pockets.
* include a smaller lightweight "boat bag" as sometimes these big roller bags are a pain in the but on small dive boats.

So far the best bag I've seen that isn't specifically designed for diving is this one:
DAKINE : 60/40 CONVERTIBLE

It's a 60/40 Convertible bag made by Dakine. It's rigid and has interior compartments that are PERFECT to fit regs, masks, boots and BCD/wetsuit all separately and protected.

I don't have one myself but I've been lusting after one. So far I've only seen them at SportMart for around $350... yikes. I have a buddy who got one at a garage sale for $5 though - lucky bugger.

I use a 32" High Sierra® AT3 Sierra-Lite Wheeled Drop-Bottom Duffel Bag. I got 2 at Kohl's Department store with my 30% off coupon the day it went on super sale for 50% off so by the time I was done they were about $65 apiece..Sweet.....I love the drop bottom to put the fins and other stuff into. Sneaks in at under 64" total and packed full of warm water gear it weighed 44 pounds

So far the best bag I've seen that isn't specifically designed for diving is this one:
DAKINE : 60/40 CONVERTIBLE

It's a 60/40 Convertible bag made by Dakine. It's rigid and has interior compartments that are PERFECT to fit regs, masks, boots and BCD/wetsuit all separately and protected.

I don't have one myself but I've been lusting after one. So far I've only seen them at SportMart for around $350... yikes. I have a buddy who got one at a garage sale for $5 though - lucky bugger.
It ain't five bucks, but it ain't $350 either: Dakine 60/40 Convertable Travel Bag Black - eBay (item 120473469850 end time Oct-01-09 16:11:00 PDT)

Back
Top Bottom