What's your choice for a dive travel bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the supersized MEC duffel:

MEC Duffle Bag - Mountain Equipment Co-op

It's like a hockey bag and big enough for a full set of gear. They don't last forever, but they only cost 30 bucks to replace. The big bonus is that it's super light -- I've got it down to 38 pounds for all my gear, wetsuit and most of my clothes. The main drawback is that it doesn't have wheels so you better have strong shoulders.

Also have an Akona roller duffel but never use it because it doesn't fit in my car. It's super sturdy, but it's heavy even when empty...last time I used it, I clocked in at 56 pounds. Fortunately the ticket agents were nice and didn't charge me an excess baggage fee, but these days I wouldn't count on it.

One other thing: I would never leave my reg, camera or computer in a checked bag. Not because I'm worried about them being stolen, but because I've seen how bags get thrown around by luggage handlers. These will fit in an MEC or PADI messenger bag, which counts as a "personal item"

Thanks for the info.

I looked for this bag, found it on FP for $74.95 - Oceanic "Voyager 3" Duffle Bag with Wheels. Is this the one you received?

However, when I looked on Oceanic's site, I also found this - Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Bags - Cargo Wheeled Duffel

And this Oceanic Worldwide - Scuba Diving Bags - Voyager 3. This one looks more like the one you described that you thought you were getting.

I can see why the one on LP is 75 bucks...it doesn't appear to have half the quality either of the two above do.

My post may have been a little confusing. This will probably make it more so. However…

The black duffel (OCNVB – your top link) with the white Oceanic logo on the side looks like the one I originally bought and the one I ordered this Sunday. It is a very well made bag and, like I said, I love it. It has external compartments but they’re more “integrated,” not protruding. I used an indelible black marker to obliterate the logos. Now it is more nondescript.

The gray bag (your middle link) is what arrived yesterday. It’s a pretty sumbitch and chock full of logos. (“Break into me, please!”) The two carrying straps across the front or top, depending on your perspective, appear to have no practical function; I don’t see how it can be easily carried using them. (The double straps on the other two bags work well. I know.) It appears to have approximately the same capacity and weight of my old bag.

I’m guessing the black bag (your bottom link) with the blue Oceanic logo on the top/front may be a variation of the “Voyager 3” I got three years ago. It appears to have a protruding compartment above the main body of the bag where the stylized “O” and Oceanic logo are. I don’t like that.

My druthers are in the same order that you posted your links:
First - the $75 bag (the one you called “half the quality”)
Second – the gray bag (“Cargo Wheeled Duffel”), the Grey Poupon among the trio, even though it might be out of place on a Spirit “The Ultra Low Class Carrier” flight.
Third – the black bag with the blue “Oceanic.”

Stahlsac!!! They have lifetime warranties, they are made of lightweight aircraft aluminum frames, have different size bags for different needs, AND... have a tiny tiny little logo that doesn't involve a dive flag or the words dive!! One even looks like just a regular suitcase! They are expensive though.. BUT the lifetime warranty is what sold me. I've known several people who have sent theirs back for a broken whatever and they get it fixed and returned no charge or get brand new ones back!

LLBean is guaranteed for life as well......and they do stand behind it as I had the morons at Continental completely rip the freaking zipper out of the bag. I sent it back to LLBean for repair and they sent me a brand new one at no charge.

Which, BTW, is something to be concerned about with roller bags. The handlers turn them upside down on the conveyors now and if you've got a luggage lock in your zipper and it gets caught in the rollers, it rips the entire zipper out of the bag. So be mindful of where the zipper pulls are on any bag you buy....look at it if it's upside down, etc.

I usually go for the generic black luggage wheelie. Why advertise you're hauling expensive dive gear?

I'm researching travel bags - those that you can check-in at the airport and those that you can carry-on (i.e DiveCaddy).

While I like the idea of a compartmentalized roller bag that houses everything, I am concerned about the potential for theft after check-in. By the same token, packing everything into a DiveCaddy-like bag to carry onto a plane seems ripe for the airline to say "Nope. It's too big for carry-on. You have to check it".

So, I'm looking for some suggestions as to what others have used for traveling with their gear - all of it (less tanks and weights, of course)?

Makes/models, where you purchased it, good/bad experiences, any good deals to be had, etc.

Any personal experiences would greatly augment my research.

Thanks all.

Just go with a Stahlsac. They're nuke proof. I've got an Islander that can't be killed. For about a 150 bucks for the Jamaican Smuggler or Cozamel, you'll get a bag with great zippers, 1050 fabric and a LIFETIME warranty, no questions asked.

I'll add my 2 cents: I carry the usual stuff in a carry-on and put the remainder in a roller bag. I use a mesh bag on the actual dive. Here is where I differ: I carry 2 medium sized plastic trash bags. I put my towel in one and tie it closed. I put my log book, clothes, shoes, wallet, etc. into the other and tie it closed. When I need my towel, it will be dry. After I use it, I put it back into its bag so it does not get wetter. When the dive is over and I'm drying off, my clothes, etc. will be dry. Stuff that retains water, e.g. wetsuit, booties, go into the plastic bag after the dive and it and the rest go into the mesh bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom