What's your favorite destination for underwater photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great list, Scott. I was a little surprised to find Vietnam on it. I have read only mediocre reviews and passed up a few opportunities to dive there. Next time I go I'll have to bring the gear.

hey Vladimir - vietnam has some good macro/nudibranch sites. I am looking for more info on it, what I have now is more of an intro that a full-out guide to diving there.

French Polynesia. Ive been a lot of places, but the remote diving in the passes of Rangiroa and Fakarava are just awesome. Tons of sharks. Every dive is different. South Pass Fakarava is an experience like Ive never had before.

I've heard great things about those dives for sharks. I wish tahiti was a less expensive destination! Have you done the beqa lagoon shark dives?

Bonaire

Pensacola Fla the Uss Oriskany

bonaire - close to the US, lots of shore diving, what more can you want? I've heard the hurricane may have done some reef damage in the shallows, but not deeper.

I've also seen even beginner photographers take some great wreck photography at the Oriskany, is it mostly wreck diving in Pensacola?

Best cold water diving by far, Vancouver Island, followed by the west coast of Norway.
Best for big fish and sharks, Galapagos (Wolf and Darwin islands), followed by South Africa (Aliwol Shoal and Protea banks) and Mozambique.
Best for macro and weird creatures, Lembeh Strait.
Best for diversity of life, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Best in the Caribbean, Bonaire.
All-round best for just about everything, especially for us Europeans, southern Egypt and Sudan by liveaboard.
Most disappointing, the GBR and Coral Sea by liveaboard. If I ever go back to Australia to dive it will be to New South Wales.

Brother Islands in the Red Sea is without a doubt my favourite.

.......a.......

Brother Islands is a fantastic place, Anders, but do you really think the diving there is better than that on the best Sudanese reefs, like Sanganeb?

1st by a long way----North Horn at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea! Whale Sharks, Orca's, Schooling Hammerheads, Mantas, amazing drop offs and so much other life that it is almost to good to believe and amazing vis. "Very weather dependent."

2nd would be the Galapogos Group.

3rd Bay of Islands and Milford Sound for Temperate and Cold Water New Zealand!

Maddog, we are heading to the Coral Sea in Jul 2011. Is July a month that we can expect the weather to be cooperative for a visit to North Horn?

Regards,

Bill

Best cold water diving by far, Vancouver Island, followed by the west coast of Norway.
Best for big fish and sharks, Galapagos (Wolf and Darwin islands), followed by South Africa (Aliwol Shoal and Protea banks) and Mozambique.
Best for macro and weird creatures, Lembeh Strait.
Best for diversity of life, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Best in the Caribbean, Bonaire.
All-round best for just about everything, especially for us Europeans, southern Egypt and Sudan by liveaboard.
Most disappointing, the GBR and Coral Sea by liveaboard. If I ever go back to Australia to dive it will be to New South Wales.

Good feedback John, sounds you've done a lot of travelling. I've heard there's some pretty crazy (in a good way) shark diving around Aliwol Shoal/Protea banks. Where do you recommend in Mozambique, Tofo?

Brother Islands in the Red Sea is without a doubt my favourite.

.......a.......

Thanks samaka, btw I'll be getting some Red Sea info up soon. I wish it was closer for us americans!

Puerto Galera for variety but I like Padre Burgos jetty in Southern Leyte for the macro. Not much diver traffic which suits me fine.

Not much diver traffic is always nice, although in Anilao I'm always had the reefs to myself also.

1st by a long way----North Horn at Osprey Reef in the Coral Sea! Whale Sharks, Orca's, Schooling Hammerheads, Mantas, amazing drop offs and so much other life that it is almost to good to believe and amazing vis. "Very weather dependent."

2nd would be the Galapogos Group.

3rd Bay of Islands and Milford Sound for Temperate and Cold Water New Zealand!

Milford sound - nice spot, I actually just dove there.

Regarding north horn / osprey reef, I've heard it was usually done as a baited shark dive, bringing in lots of sharks, and the whale sharks, orcas, schooling hammerheads were nice treats only if you got lucky - is that true?

Back
Top Bottom