When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have about 65 dives and I'm going DIR in april thanks to whoever decided to run a DIR/F class in atlanta.

A

At first I was just shopping for a BC and doing some research on the Internet. I was a very new diver (20 dives) so I don't have much idea about any kind of diving whatsoever. From that BC hunting first I found back inflation then backplate and wings then one thing leads to another. Not long I found DIR mentioned somewhere on one of the site and then I start doing researh about DIR and thinks that this is how I like to do my diving. I also found Scubaboard where I do more research and getting great answers form the good people here.

Then I strat looking for DIRF trainer in my region (I lived in Thailand) so I finally decided to get trained by Gideon in Singapore in Aug 2005, I only got 25+ dive experience. The class was great but I was doing so bad event my instructor said so but still I'm glad I did took the course, I think it was my best investment in scuba diving. During the class I get to meet Vie and he became DIR mentor to me and dive buddy since. BTW I failed my DIRF (I sucks even doing it the wrong way), I went back and tried again in October the same year and made it.

Post DIRF I enjoyed diving much more because of the essesntial skills I've learned. I consider my self to be lucky to take the course early in my diving experience because I haven't gain much bad diving habits yet (can't really indentify most too) and I also don't have any idea about DIR label yet.

I just think its a good and a safe way to dive.:wink:

I just think its a good and a safe way to dive.

That's what it boils down to, isn't it?

AaronR103:
I have about 65 dives and I'm going DIR in april thanks to whoever decided to run a DIR/F class in atlanta.

A

Good luck in your class. If anything like ours you'll have a blast and learn much. :)

To answer the question: 8 April 1971. That was the day that I walked out on the deck to begin training with the U.C. Berkeley Scientific Diving Safety Program.

“But isn’t that before there was DIR?” you ask. “Yes, quite” is my answer. Lost in the current discussion is the fact that long before cute acronyms there was a long history of diving with a concern for Doing It Right.

Andy Kerslake says, “DIR is about reaching team consensus, but always questioning. As far as possible, it's about simplification and an uncompromising attitude towards safety. There's no other complete system that's readily available. All others are based on personal preference, and there are always differences between divers. Most other teams are simply a collection of individuals with different agendas - DIR is totally about the team."

Mr. Kerslake might, if given the chance, want to edit his thought to recognize that there are “complete systems, readily available,” within the military, commercial and research diving communities that put even the WKPP team concepts to shame.

Speaking of the WKPP, I have a great deal of respect for the WKPP and the folks who made it all happen. I do not believe for a minute, that they could have accomplished what they have without coming to the DIR concept, that’s common sense. A team needs to have a standard mode of operation. That drove the development of DIR, problems defined, examined, researched and solved. And self-evidently solved so that they could amass a stupendous record of achievement and safety.

So, if that’s so simple, what’s all the fuss about? It’s a shame that there are no footprints underwater, for if there were, the DIR folks would see that they’re not breaking new ground. Rather they seem to have suffered triple light failure <G> and are feeling around in the dark on a trail that was blazed half a century ago and has been moderately well traveled ever since.

yeah, but those guys didn't have black masks

ALL my gear is black, down to my undies (but that's another story). When my NATO spec Viking drysuit was hanging in the dive locker during an arctic cruise that I served as Operation Diving Supervisor for, they took to calling it (tounge in cheek I hope) "Darth's Waders."

lol nice

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom