When did you go DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you grock W.O.W.I.E.? If not, check out these master diver specialty classes!

SpecBor.gif

Check it out: http://www.wowiescuba.com/

glitch.. slow server I guess..

Isn't GUE the only agency training to such a high level given that NOAA or military training isn't available or "readily available" to the general diving public?

Thalassamania:
To answer the question: 8 April 1971. That was the day that I walked out on the deck to begin training with the U.C. Berkeley Scientific Diving Safety Program.

“But isn’t that before there was DIR?” you ask. “Yes, quite” is my answer. Lost in the current discussion is the fact that long before cute acronyms there was a long history of diving with a concern for Doing It Right.

Andy Kerslake says, “DIR is about reaching team consensus, but always questioning. As far as possible, it's about simplification and an uncompromising attitude towards safety. There's no other complete system that's readily available. All others are based on personal preference, and there are always differences between divers. Most other teams are simply a collection of individuals with different agendas - DIR is totally about the team."

Mr. Kerslake might, if given the chance, want to edit his thought to recognize that there are “complete systems, readily available,” within the military, commercial and research diving communities that put even the WKPP team concepts to shame.

Speaking of the WKPP, I have a great deal of respect for the WKPP and the folks who made it all happen. I do not believe for a minute, that they could have accomplished what they have without coming to the DIR concept, that’s common sense. A team needs to have a standard mode of operation. That drove the development of DIR, problems defined, examined, researched and solved. And self-evidently solved so that they could amass a stupendous record of achievement and safety.

So, if that’s so simple, what’s all the fuss about? It’s a shame that there are no footprints underwater, for if there were, the DIR folks would see that they’re not breaking new ground. Rather they seem to have suffered triple light failure <G> and are feeling around in the dark on a trail that was blazed half a century ago and has been moderately well traveled ever since.

Far from it, the kind of training I was talking about occurs at many AAUS Member institutions, and is often open to the public through extension. But it can be pricey, when I taught it was a four credit course (at $200.00 per credit) and you need to show up, the first day (having passed a watermanship test and been accepted into the class) with a full set of gear, as specifed by the program. You need to be willing to commit Tues and Thurs from 4 to 8 PM and all day every Saturday for 13 weeks. Most people head for their LDS. But the training is available and not all institutions follow the same model.

what is AAUS?

thanks

can you help me find out where their classes are listed? i can't seem
to find them, or the standards

H2Andy:
thanks

can you help me find out where their classes are listed? i can't seem
to find them, or the standards

Andy, you can download their standards from their website. It is a PDF format.
Their standard is strict and you have to keep a certain number of dive logs every year to keep the certification. And, you have to prove it by diving with other members as I recall.

This course is mainly for the scientific diving. You used to get the certification through the univeristy and colleage program. As I checked last year, FSU used to allow that the public can join in the class based on the special arrangement. After the class and training, you also need to complete the actual UW project to earn the certification. You can attend the intensive summer course that has been held in NY or NJ area through FSU....

ok, thanks!

just wanted to compare it with GUE

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom