When DIR goes bad...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And the moral of this story is....
Don't mix drinks and dive.

I don't really see why this thread is in this forum at all or why it is funny. That koolaid photo is a direct reference to the Jonestown massacre. Massacres are not funny. Lets see what is not funny about this one:

1. The fact that Jonestown became a forced labor and torture camp.

2. The murder of a US congressman.

3. The death of over 900 people.

Since most of you in this thread are divers I do not understand why you choose to accept the association. It is childish and speaks to the nature of some people here. It is not about diving and has absolutely nothing to do with DIR, GUE, or the plethora of good divers trying to have fun with their friends.

Vayu:
I don't really see why this thread is in this forum at all or why it is funny. That koolaid photo is a direct reference to the Jonestown massacre. Massacres are not funny. Lets see what is not funny about this one:

Since most of you in this thread are divers I do not understand why you choose to accept the association. It is childish and speaks to the nature of some people here. It is not about diving and has absolutely nothing to do with DIR, GUE, or the plethora of good divers trying to have fun with their friends.

Don't take things so seriously.

The reason why people associate kool-aid with DIR is because some people call DIR a cult like group of people. In the 1970's there was a cult were the leader of the cult had his followers drink poisoned kool-aid. So people jokingly say "don't drink the kool-aid" when referencing DIR.

Dude, lighten up. It's a friggin' joke. Also if you go look up this particular cult, you'll find out that while many people SAY they used kool-aid, they didn't.

Personally I never could see the connection ... they don't make black Kool-Aid, after all ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

While I would defend the ideas of DIR and GUE down to my last 10bar, I think it's hilarious :D

What am I missing?

I admit going into it I don't think 1 Congress-person is worth a whole lot, but we have members of parliament up here anyway, and they might be worth a loonie if you put a toonie in thier X-shorts. :wink:

Vayu:

I don't believe that anyone is saying that any of these things you list are funny.

Humor throughout the ages has made the use of dark references. This is often seen in the use of satire.

One only needs to take a look at movies like Blazing Saddles, Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Pirates of the Carribbean and a miriad of other movies that use references to some rather serious events in history that are not so funny. Any one of these movies could be (and I believe has been) seen as offensive by people close to any actual tragic events with any similarity. Racist stereotypes, plane crashes, the crusades and actual events perpetrated by real pirates are all topics that many would find horrific on many levels. The Bride of Frankenstein makes light of horrific experimentation on human beings, but many people would find this movie quite amusing. I would also imagine that someone who had a family member that has gone through a lobotomy might not think that this movie if funny.

The further removed from an actual subject one is, the greater the possibility that someone will find a comment humorous and not offensive.

To expect the world to discontinue the use of dark humor is unrealistic, in my opinion.

Beyond that and more to the point in this thread, what I see people doing who believe in the DIR philosophy and system of diving by coopting the reference to Kool-Aid is that they are making light of the fact that some people have made serious references in this respect about learning this sytem of diving. Some people seriously think that for one to say that they are taking a class from GUE is synonymous to saying that one is joining a cult. Those of us that have taken GUE classes know how silly this is and therefore many choose to make light of this belief with a dark reference. There is nothing to read into it beyond that, in my opinion.

Christian

Well said! That was exactly my intention in posting it. :)

headhunter:
One only needs to take a look at movies like Blazing Saddles, Airplane, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Pirates of the Carribbean and a miriad of other movies that use references to some rather serious events in history that are not so funny.

These movies were comedies?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom